Acura Commercial

• Members

this is a bit OT and yet completely on at the same time.

Has anyone seen the Acura commercial where they say they fight sound with sound? Apparently they find the frequencies that the engine makes and other components make and use phase cancellation.

Which lead me to a question.. Why didnt i think of that!?

Sorry if I am way OT here but i thought you would find it a bit interesting.

• Members

yeah i dont buy it at all. the wavelengths involved would mean a slight move of the head would change the relationships.

unless they are just referring to some type of counterbalance shaft (used for decades now) to somehow reduce noise and not just vibration.

• Members

maybe, but consider what an engine (NOT exhaust ) sounds like. what type of frequency content does a gas engine (NOT exhaust) have? open your hood and listen to your engine; what kind of sounds does it make?

i'd wager that most of us that have engines, have engines that make mid/high frequency noise which would have shorter wavelengths. this is not the sound the exhaust makes, and we already know that exhaust sounds can be nulled with a resonator and a muffler to the point of where you cannot hear the exhaust at all except for a whoosh of air out the pipe (i had a 318 V8 that made no more noise than 'whoosh' out the pipe)

the thing about phase and phase cancellation in the air (vs electronic) is that changing your location even slightly will change the relationship of the in phase/out of phase frequencies.

the best solution to reduce engine noise in the vehicle is decoupling the engine mechanically from the vehicle, and reducing noise from entering the vehicle. this is done with rubber and fiberglass (or similar)

• Members

Had a sound guy in the late 80s that would go off on interesting tangents. A couple I remember are the auto manufacturers creating a special muffler that reverses the phase of the sound coming into it to create and extremely quiet car.

The other was about digitally recording silence and playing it back loud enough that it can actually mask existing noise. He claimed, after a hit or two (it was the 80s) that with a big enough and quiet enough sound system, you can actually play the silence louder then the ambient noise and make ambient sounds actually appear to disappear.

His dream was a huge sound system setup around an airport so you would not be able to hear the planes.

• Members

Had a sound guy in the late 80s that would go off on interesting tangents. A couple I remember are the auto manufacturers creating a special muffler that reverses the phase of the sound coming into it to create and extremely quiet car.

Pretty much all modern automotive mufflers function via mechanically induced phase cancellation.

• CMS Author

The other was about digitally recording silence and playing it back loud enough that it can actually mask existing noise. He claimed, after a hit or two (it was the 80s) that with a big enough and quiet enough sound system, you can actually play the silence louder then the ambient noise and make ambient sounds actually appear to disappear.

His dream was a huge sound system setup around an airport so you would not be able to hear the planes.

The only appropriate response would be, "Wow.......can I buy some pot from you?"

:rolleyes::D

• Members

The only appropriate response would be, "Wow.......can I buy some pot from you?"

:rolleyes::D

Okay.

That means that...

our whole solar system...

could be, like...

one tiny atom in the fingernail

of some other giant being.

This is too much!

That means...

-one tiny atom in my fingernail could be--

-Could be one little...

tiny universe.

• Members

this is a bit OT and yet completely on at the same time.

Has anyone seen the Acura commercial where they say they fight sound with sound? Apparently they find the frequencies that the engine makes and other components make and use phase cancellation.

Which lead me to a question.. Why didnt i think of that!?

Sorry if I am way OT here but i thought you would find it a bit interesting.

New Technology? NOT!!!!!

I was aware of this method of noise reduction in the 70's. It is by no means new. It was used in Industry in order to combat hearing losses in manufacturing facilities.

I was an attendee at the First International Symposium on Ocuppational Hearing Loss held in Toronto Canada in the early 80s.

• Members

...digitally recording silence and playing it back loud enough that...

Ahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhah....

Deep Breath....

hahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhahhah....

:facepalm:

Archived