12" or 15" Speakers?

• Members

Putting together a PA for bar gigs. Basically just for vocals but would like option of using DI from bass guitarist's amp and don't want to carry around a sub. Would 15" FOH speakers handle this significantly better than equivalent quality 12" speakers (say same make)?

• Members
Putting together a PA for bar gigs. Basically just for vocals but would like option of using DI from bass guitarist's amp and don't want to carry around a sub. Would 15" FOH speakers handle this significantly better than equivalent quality 12" speakers (say same make)?

"Just Say No!"

• Members

Thanks for your input. Not going to be very loud - everything adjusted to the volume of an unmic'd kit. But the bass player's amp may not be powerful enough to carry the room alone and I just want the option to give him a little PA support. I'd rather not get into subs cos of space in the car...

• Members
the bass player's amp may not be powerful enough to carry the room alone and I just want the option to give him a little PA support. I'd rather not get into subs cos of space in the car...

If his amp will support an extension cab a 1x15 is fairly small compared to a sub or two. I used to run a 2x15 on my side of the drummer and a 1x15 on the other side and could carry a room without PA support if I had (or wanted :D) to. If you have the $$$ the Danley TH-Mini subs are really small and kick amazingly good for their size - 24" x 15" x 22.5" and 76 lbs :eek:.

• Members

Subs don't have to be big. Yorkville's LS720P 15" sub is pretty small. I'd go for the 12s, which will be physically smaller than 15s and a sub over a pair of 15s. If you're playing any kind of rock or anything you want people to dance to, you'll want some kick in there, and you really need a sub or two to make that work well.

My small bar rig is a pair of 12s over a pair of 15" subs and it does pretty well and it isn't too big or heavy.

Archived