PreSonus StudioLive advice

• Members

I'm seriously considering getting this baby. Does anyone have one and is it any good for recording with software like sonar?

I would use it more for studio but would also like the occasional live gig.

Please guys - opinions welcome!

• Members

Do a search and you will find a LOT OF POSTS. One thing I would consider is that they are releasing a 24 channel version soon. The thing that caught my eye was that the larger version will have 10 aux sends. That to me is a nice feature.

• Members

I'm seriously considering getting this baby. Does anyone have one and is it any good for recording with software like sonar?

The SL is designed to work with most DAW's. If Sonar accepts an ASIO interface you should be able to use the SL with it. I purchased a SL recently and wanted to use it with Traction as I am very comfortable with Traction. I was able to get it to work with Tracktion; however, I ran into a couple of problems. Because of the SL's FW setup, it didn't work right with Tracktion. The SL has 16 individual FW sends/returns that are activated by each channel's FW button. Traction (and Sonar too if I'm not mistaken) sends all your input/output channels together. This makes it incredibly hard to work with. If you record in 16 tracks, and you only want one track to play back, you are getting all tracks back. Also, my laptop has a 400 firewire chipset and the SL requires a 800 fw chipset. Due to that, the recording was a pain. It would only record 15 secs or so and it would stop recording. If you will be using the SL for recording make sure your computer has the necessary requirements to work with it. Otherwise it will be a pain in the arse. I have since returned my SL because I did not want to upgrade my computer just yet. With the SL24 coming out I may just do it. :facepalm:

If you do have a computer that meets the requirements, I would recommend using the software Capture that comes with the unit to record with. Couple of guys here (Dale christianson aka Sound4u and Abzurd) use that for recording and final mixdown. Their recordings sound phenominal IMO.

Any other questions you may refer the the Presonus forums http://forums.presonus.com

• Members

I use my SL 16.4.2 for recording live shows. I don't do much studio work with the exception of mixing down the live tracks.

Been great to work with. It replaced my Mackie 24 channel mixer. I got it in Aug '09. No trouble with recording for me, but some have due to their computers. Having the wrong chipsets makes a difference as Tomis has said.

Here you can hear some of the recordings I have made using only the included Capture program.

The only other program I have tried is the Studio One Artist software that I got from Presonus. That's a killer DAW even if it is the "lite" version.

The next thing I am waiting for (march to may release) is the VSL "virtual studio live" controller for the studiolive mixer. It will be able to remotely control the mixer. That to me is exciting.

p.s. - Thanks, Tomis for the compliment on the recordings. ;)

• Members

I really like my SL for live venues. Only studio work I've done is on the band side so I'm talking from observation only. But if I were doing primarily studio work, I would think that an O1V96 or the like would be better; usable for live venues (if you have a sound engineer) but has more fine tuning for studio work, and records 96 Khz. Depending, of course, on what other gear you have for the studio.

• Members

Thanks heaps for the info guys, to clarify; the majority of my recording would be studio work - not recording live performances. So in that sense would I be better off getting an audio interface like the Firestudio Tube to use with sonar etc?

Ive been out of the loop for awhile and im not even sure if sonar is the go besides pro tools anymore :facepalm

• Members

I got mine late February of last year and it's been rock solid.

Sound Awesome and it hasn't failed me yet.

Of course I have a Furman AR-15 and a Backup Battery system too.

I use Logic to record and mix live performances and it's been ROCK SOLID.

All I can say is that if you are on the fence don't think it too much and

jump with both feet and bring some friends. ;)

If you need more than 16 channels

the newer 24 channel console coming up is worth the wait.

hope this helps

regards,

Charles

• Members

I love my StudioLive and use it for live recording always. It is a powerful unit that mates well with the daws that I have tried with it. I have used, and really like Presonus's very own Studio One. Simple, sleek and not overbloated, yet I've yet to reach it's limits. Also Apple's Logic works well. There may be firewire type matching problems but I have yet to run into this. I use a Macbook Pro and have always had a perfect run with it.

Love the StudioLive 16.4.2 but would have considered the 24 channel board had it been around when I bought.

Pax

• Members

BTW, did you send the tracks into studio one directly, or did you use capture first?

I went directly into studio one. There is a studiolive template that I used to start, then if I wanted to do a different track with the same input, I changed it in studio one. It was very easy to do.

I have done the same with Capture, but for recording only, I prefer Studio one.

the best I can offer on the songs right now are on the new myspace page our singer just set up. http://www.myspace.com/thekingsoffering

2 of the songs are here.

let me know what you think, it was my first time using studio one

Archived