Upgrade Mains or Monitors?

• Members

I'm looking to upgrade my system with some new speakers. In particular the local GC has some JBL MRX512Ms that I really like and they have them on sale this weekend for $499 each. And with a 15% off discount on 1 item I can take an addition $75 off and get a pair of these for $925.

Currently I have a pair of Yamaha SM115IVs that I use as mains and JBL EON 10s for monitors. The Yamahas are around 14 years old and the JBLs are around 12 years old. I recently simplified my mixer, effects, and power amps to a single Yamaha EMX512sc powered mixer.

I used to play more with a full band and the system was used for practice and the ocassional small gig. Now, I mainly use the system for vocals and acoustic guitar with others joining from time to time.

I was originally thinking of replacing the EON 10s. I like the sound of the EON 10s just fine and they are lightweight. The thing I don't like is that they aren't well balanced when they sit on the floor as a monitor. They tend to tip easily.

But what I dislike more is the weight of the Yamahas. So now I'm thinking of replacing my mains with the MRX512Ms. This would give me a lightweight system with all my components. My only concern is would the MRX512Ms provide enough bass on the rare ocassion I play with a bass player and we want to put the bass in the mains. My guess is it should be fine since I'm not looking for a rocking thump'n bass.

I think I'm answering my own question and think the way to go is to replace my mains, but I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks

• Members

I like your way of thinking! Favor your FOH sound.

Weight, and packing size, keeps going up in importance to me.

If you really want bass a sub is key, with either setup. Looking at the specs, there is only a 5 hz advantage to the 15" clubs, which I'm not sure you would notice.

• Members

I would replace the Yamahas first, sell them and use that money to help replace the monitors.

Thanks. I've pretty much convinced myself to replace the Yamahas. I was going to either trade them in or sell them to help pay for the new mains. The monitors will have to wait.

I'm trying to figure out a reasonable price for the Yamahas. There aren't any recent ads on ebay or craigslist that I can find that would give me an idea of what people are getting for them. Best I can go by is a pair of new SM15Vs go for $800. I'm guessing at maybe $300-$400 for mine.

Archived