Church wants to install remote (wireless?) speakers in nursery

• Members

Church wants to install remote, listener-dimmable speakers in a nursery. (i.e. the moms can turn it down/off if desired)

Sounds easy enough, right? Problem is they want to avoid the expense of having a contractor fish cable from the sound booth in the balcony to the nursery in the basement.

So they asked me about wireless options. Now I ask you about wireless (or any other) options. They had the idea of just getting a second receiver for the pastor's wireless lav. That seemed kind of ghetto to me, but I wasn't sure that it wouldn't work. Aside from the fact that a decent receiver would probably cost the same as (or more than) the labor, the only reason I could come up with why that wouldn't work would be if we had to change channels on the pastor's lav, we'd have to change it down there, too. But that happens so rarely...

Sound quality requirements are for basic intelligibility - playback system could be as simple as a boombox.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Usual small-church-budget considerations apply. :p

-Dan.

• Members

Provided it has the range and you only want the pastors voice, a second wireless receiver will work.

I do several events where I put my primary system in the main ballroom, and send two feeds over Audio-Technica M2 wireless systems. One feed goes to a second smaller ballroom, and one to a large conference room.

• Members

A portable solution we employ at the church I work for frequently is to simply set a wireless lavalier mic in the back of the room. Then plug the reciever in the "cry room" to a small active speaker (galaxy hotspot in this case) and they now have a volume control and hear what the rest of the service hears.

You could of course feed it off an aux send or better yet a matrix from the board but this is our simple way that lets us hand this to the group that needs it and they (with very little training) can set it up where they need it.

• Members

Depending on the wire run, it would probably only take an hour or two to pull it. Someone at the church has to be an electrician or an electrician's relative.

If you're hanging speakers, I highly recommend getting a pro. Pulling wire isn't all that critical. Make it happen and save the headaches of wireless.

Yeah, I might have them get a quote anyways. I'm not really up on what's involved in a cable pull, but I imagine it'd be on the more annoying end of things. It'd be going from the middle of a balcony into an outer, load-bearing wall, down 1.5 stories, down the length of the outer wall 10-20 yds, likely dodging a couple large windows along the way. The building is probably 100 years old. No conduits.

-Dan.

• Members

Depending on the wire run, it would probably only take an hour or two to pull it. Someone at the church has to be an electrician or an electrician's relative.

If you're hanging speakers, I highly recommend getting a pro. Pulling wire isn't all that critical. Make it happen and save the headaches of wireless.

Edit: do make sure to stick within local code. Chances are you don't need conduit, but you may need Plenum-rated cable. Do some research first.

• Members

Do you have a wireless FM ADA assistive listening system? With the right remote transmitter antenna (with ground plane) you may be able to pick up a good signal if the distance is not too great. Simple solution I have used several times where it was not financially possible to run cable between areas.

• Members

PV has a new powered speaker that has plans of a wireless system.

Or, you could try using a X2 cordless guitar system, plug the transmiter in a AUX channel and the receiver into the speaker. You will need a powered speaker for this too but wont need a high dollar box, something like a 8" FBT Jollie or a QSC K8.

Archived