Difference between behringer xenyx and eurorack mixers?

• Members

Does anyone know what the difference between them is? I need a very cheap mixer and behringer fits my needs perfectly but I can't really see what the difference is between those models. On a thread on some other forum someone took apart a xenyx and found that the circuit board itself actually said "eurorack" and is the identical circuit board used in the comparable eurorack.

Anyone know?

• Members

I think the Xenyx mixers are just the updated version of the UB. The main thing that Behringer says about the Xenyx is that they have better Mic Pre's. Not sure if that is actually true, but that is the word I have.

• Members

one sucks and one really sucks.

Well, maybe in your opinion.

However, in my opinion the xenyx pres sound pretty good. Our vocals really sit above the mix with clarity, crispness and plenty of bottom-end.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons why some mixers sound good and why some sound bad. One of the top-rated bands, in this area, uses Behringer equipment for part of their PA. Their sound is clear and powerful.

We saw a new band, last night, that appears to have spent quite a bit of money on their PA. JBL, Mackie, etc. They didn't sound too good.

mike

• Members

Behringer does not belong in the music realm, it belongs in the landfill.

Pros don't use 'em, amatuers should not use them, novices only like them because they are cheap. They're cheap for a reason, you get what you pay for. You gotta start somewhere but they are a poor place to start.

Behringers are worthless garbage whose products clearly and unequivocally plagliarize other well established products - a fact derived from experience, not opinion.

• Members

Well, maybe in your opinion.

However, in my opinion the xenyx pres sound pretty good. Our vocals really sit above the mix with clarity, crispness and plenty of bottom-end.

Of course, there are plenty of reasons why some mixers sound good and why some sound bad. One of the top-rated bands, in this area, uses Behringer equipment for part of their PA. Their sound is clear and powerful.

We saw a new band, last night, that appears to have spent quite a bit of money on their PA. JBL, Mackie, etc. They didn't sound too good.

mike

What part of the PA was Blowinger and what did the rest of the PA consist of.? What model of JBL did the bad sounding band use?

• Members

Both JBL and Mackie have lines of bottom-rung product that is as poor performing as Behringer.

Lots of bands don't sound too good for many, many reasons -- most are probably not intrinsic to the gear used.

• Members

Funny, I didn't realize that this forum was just for pros.

Maybe not just for pros but this forum does help people that believe low cost is the most important aspect in a sound system. Behringer is in no means considered pro gear. That doesn

• Members

Behringer has it's place and not just in a landfill.

The smaller mixers are pretty usefull. The MX series was pretty good for the 2, 4, and 6 channel units. The UB series, AFAICT, was a cosmetic upgrade with some rearrangement of channel layout. The Xenyx is again mostly cosmetic although the newer units with USB are mosre useful for the budding home recorder.

Are they inexpensive? You betcha. Worth repairing? Never.

I see a lot of pros using a piece or two of Behringer rack gear, rarely mixers and never speakers. Most that have their amps appear to like them.

Boomerweps

• Members

The reality is a lot of bands are out there every weekend playing good music using Behringer products. You may not like the reality, but that is the reality. Sure it's not the best stuff out there but for the most part it does work and it's affordable. As we can see from a lot of the threads, not everybody has tens of thousands of dollars to spend on a PA. I know it's not liked here but goofy comments about landfills and kiddy forums don't do anybody any good.

The thread asks what's the difference between two of their models. How about staying on topic.

• Members

The thread asks what's the difference between two of their models. How about staying on topic.

Good point and I shouldn't have started with a sarcastic flame thrower aimed at Behringer.

From what I've heard (not personaly, but hear say), is that the Xenyx do sound a little better than their predicessor. That said I would still recommend against anyone buying one. If the OP already has one and was just looking for reinforcment for their purchase decision, I'm sorry but I can't give it.

IMHO This Behringer Megathread should be made a sticky.

That's my .02

• CMS Author

Does anyone know what the difference between them is? I need a very cheap mixer and behringer fits my needs perfectly but I can't really see what the difference is between those models. On a thread on some other forum someone took apart a xenyx and found that the circuit board itself actually said "eurorack" and is the identical circuit board used in the comparable eurorack.

Anyone know?

Does this other forum have a name and URL? While nothing Behringer does could surprise me, I've never heard this claim before now and would like to see some evidence one way or the other.

• Members

Behringer has it's place and not just in a landfill.

-snip-

Are they inexpensive? You betcha. Worth repairing? Never.

I see a lot of pros using a piece or two of Behringer rack gear, rarely mixers and never speakers. Most that have their amps appear to like them.

Boomerweps

Now that seems more like what I have seen and experienced.

• Members

I haven't seen a composer being acceptable at an arena level show for maybe 10 years, even 166's are sort of hit and miss too.

Haven't seen a pro use a Behringer amp ever that I can remember.

Yeah, the old composers (mdx2000, or maybe it was mx2000, I don't remember for sure) were actually very good compressors, and a LOT of pros used to use them. The new ones sound ok, but you can't hit them as hard for some reason in my experience, you can actually make them break up if you hit them too hard, and that's not very musical sounding, lol.... I'm pretty sure that's why they don't get spec'd very often these days.

• Members

I have been out of the "pro" level for about 5-years now but when I was reading and filling riders for national touring acts on a daily basis the behringer composer and dbx 166 were the standard rider friendly comp/gate unit for fx racks. I am not talking about"Joe and the Shmoes" at the local dive bar. I mean the big 20,000 seat arena shows.

What nation was this? I've been in the business of filling national act riders for 15 years, and have seen Behringer comps listed on exactly 2 riders in that time, both southern rock acts, with the same guy mixing them. As AH mentioned the 166's are rarely listed, but usually accepted. The comps almost always listed are Drawmer, BSS, and DBX160's. I've never, ever seen Behringer amps in anything even approaching a pro rig.

Archived