Stereo Keyboard to Mono TS?

• Members

Hey all!

I have a Yamaha DGX-205 keyboard that has one stereo TRS in the back (think 1/4 headphone jack) for output. I need to get both channels (left, right) of that stereo TRS into a single, mono TS cable (think guitar). How can I do this without losing part of the sound, as most of the voices are stereo?

Thanks in advance!

• CMS Author

Any scheme that combines stereo to mono has the potential of having the identical portions of a signal cancel out. It would also happen acoustically if the speakers were facing each other.

IMHO the lack of mono output voices on so many keyboards is a serious design failure for live use.

• Members

Wrong way 'round - won't work. You can use a standard "insert cable" to split the TRS output to two TS plugs and just run into two inputs of the mixer or amp You can also use a small mixer to take all your keyboards and mix them down to a single output - really the best long term solution.

• Members

is this a toy keyboard or something? every keyboard i own has an L/mono out. i am a slut, and own quite a few.

also "think guitar"? please tell me you are not planning to yse a keyboard with a guitar amp(?) i am going to assume you are not going to do this.

• Members

Y-cable to combine headphone outputs can damage the headphone out (not always) and usually causes a big increase in distortion that increases with output level.

I suspect that you would be better using just left or right, usually the algorithems will translate to mono ok this way, though summing may be better, maybe not. It depends on how the software was written.

• Members
is this a toy keyboard or something?.

One of the keyboard players I work with has a Korg Triton LE :thu: and a Yamaha "Walmart" special with only a headphone out :facepalm:. The latter requires I run a gate on him for sure. But it actually sounds pretty good other than the low level noise coming out of it.

• Members

That is if they have the left and right as seperate sockets. As I recall this model from Yamaha has ONE output socket only and thats the headphone socket.

I think it has built-in speakers. Adn as it is marketed as a home keyboard Yamaha maybe thought it did not need a surfeit of output sockets...

Maybe the OP could find some sort of DI box in reverse???

D

• Members

Any scheme that combines stereo to mono has the potential of having the identical portions of a signal cancel out

This and the fact that stereo pianos don't like to be summed because of phasing issues point to using either just the left or right channel. It's what I do all the time if I'm sending a feed to the house.

Archived