BAD powered PA speakers and BAD mixer

• Members

Hello, I bought two Harbinger APS12 12 inch Powered PA Speakers today and I'm a 100% positive that these are going back to Guitar Center. I was looking for a powered PA to use for at least two vocalist, a keyboard, and an occasional acoustic guitar(this is not including the two electric guitars and drums) so I wouldn't have to buy an amp for some non powered PA speakers. I had my ALESIS MultiMix 8USB Audio Mixer in between a Shure SM57 and the two APS12s. Every time I would get close to the mic and sing into it, there was a really hash break up. The speakers themselves either had a little white noise or hum on their own which would come and go randomly and with the ALESIS MultiMix it seemed to be magnified times three.

I spent $300 dollars on the two APS12s together and I have 30 days to return them for a full refund. I am now looking for a new PA setup with powered or non powered speakers (w/amp if needed) and a good mixer that won't add any white noise or hum. I know for $300 dollars that's not reasonable so I would like someone with some experience to please help guide me in what should be my next purchase to get some thing that my band will enjoy using and help us feel more professional in a live setting. Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what $300/pair of powered speakers gets, just enough power for family BBQ's or conference room speeches. The powered speakers for your application will be closer to $1500/pair. I would suggest PRX512s.

• Members

Are there any good powered speakers that go for around $1000 a pair?

Aside from what what was mentioned above

For 8": EV ZXA1

For 10": Mackie SRM350 old & new(v2), JBL EON 510, maybe a Yamaha StagePAS 500 (includes the mixer)

For 12": Peavey PR-12D

For 15": JBL EON 315

JC

• Members

Sorry that the APS12s didn't work for you. I'd also try them without the mixer and see what you get. We use a pair of the APS15s as a rehearsal PA and also as stage monitors with no issues whatsoever.(Other than being a little too big as stage monitors.) For FOH they're just not enough power... that's when we run the EVs.

• Members

WOW! I'm really surprised how fast this thread was replied to. I'm kind of scared to mention this but I had a friend suggest the Carvin XP1000L-1502 8 CHANNEL PA SYSTEM. I don't know much about Carvin except a guy I know used to play through their amps. Here's the link that was suggested to me:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=XP1000L-1502&cid=102

• Members

Ewww. no. You'd be about in the same boat. Plus, as mentioned in another thread, those mixer have a horrid layout me thinks and the speakers will not be in the same category as any of the ones suggested here so far.

• CMS Author

Peavey PR powered series are the absolute cheapest I'd dare to go with. For around $500 each, look at the Samson db500a. It's a pretty damned good powered speaker for not much coin.

You can never go wrong with Yorkville's powered boxes, and JBL PRX are awesome, but out of your budget new. Look at used models, as the line hasn't been out so long that used gear age is a big factor.

Mackie SRM's are decent, and you can find them used all over. Older is actually better with these...if you find some with "Made in USA" on the label, get 'em.

I would avoid Carvin and Behringer.

• Members

Are there any good powered speakers that go for around $1000 a pair?

You can work with $1000 pretty well. You can buy one really good speaker or two pretty good speakers. If you buy two pretty good speakers you could move them to monitor duty when you step up to some better speakers for FOH. I would not recommend buying anything that you eventually see needing to get replaced unless you will be making money off it right away.

I was in a similar situation, but decided to buy one decent powered speaker at a time, next the sub, and eventually I will upgade the monitors. Right now, the band I play with isn't interested in using my stuff, but I figured if I take my gear anywhere atleast FOH will sound good and I can borrow some decent monitors. In the meantime, the band leader in the band I have played with has already replaced 2-3 pieces of equipment. He's probably spent as much on 1 passive 8 channel mixer, two power amps, and now a 12 channel powered mixer that I have on a pair of JBL PRX 512s.

Be smart with your money.

• Members

I would avoid Carvin and Behringer.

I have a Carvin 1644P. It's got 16 channels and 1200 watts, although it doesn't get very loud. I basically bought it because (1) it was a good price ($300) and (2) I wanted to go the powered route, but figured until I get everything together it would be easier to get my hands on passive monitors if I needed. It wasn't a bad buy because I got my money out of it and I can probably sell it for $200.... but I would stay away from the packages they have and I don't tihnk I will be buying a Carvin product again.

• Members

I don't know if anyone here has tried the Proel Flash12A's, but I bought a pair of the Flash15SA subs and I love them. If the 12's are anywhere near the quality and performance level of the subs (I would assume they are), you would not be disappointed. The Flash12A's are available on Ebay for $399 each with free shipping.

The Mackie SRM450v2 are available for $499 here:

http://www.proaudiostar.com/servlet/the-4687/Mackie-SRM450v2,400W-12-in/Detail

If you were to buy them from ProAudioStar, don't use their website, their site will only let you choose 2nd day air as a shipping option and they instructed me to choose that option and that they would refund the difference and change the option to ground. They changed the shipping to ground, but I still haven't got a refund. The Mackies sound very decent but are a little noisy (slight hiss) when idle even with nothing connected. I have come to the conclusion that is a trait of many cheaper powered speakers or at least those in the low to mid price range.

• Members

Thanks for the input! Here is what my plan is at the moment. I'm thinking about getting a floor monitor first and eventually getting another. Then I will go for the two FOH (I assume that means front of house) speakers. My drummer and I have agreed to buy an individual speaker each. I am willing to spend $500.00 on a single speaker at a time. I am not sure if I should go with all powered speakers and a passive mixer or a powered mixer with passive speakers.

• Members

Thanks for the input! Here is what my plan is at the moment. I'm thinking about getting a floor monitor first and eventually getting another. Then I will go for the two FOH (I assume that means front of house) speakers. My drummer and I have agreed to buy an individual speaker each. I am willing to spend $500.00 on a single speaker at a time. I am not sure if I should go with all powered speakers and a passive mixer or a powered mixer with passive speakers.

Powered speakers and passive mixer, no question. That Carvin system is probably okay for the money for what it is. The problem is it's not really adequate for band use except maybe rehearsal. You'd outgrow it at your first real gig. Going by what you said you'd need to plug into it you'll need more than 8 channels.

• Members

Hey before I forget just wanna give you a heads up before you make a purchase, might wanna give a shout to Mike Pyle who owns this place http://www.audiopyle.com/ I know he gave me a fantastic price a brand new pair of EV SXA 360's. Dunno if he still has any left in stock but it's worth at least talking to Mike.

Over the years I've dealt with him exclusively because of the awesome prices he gave me on my PA system. Here's my system.

2-EV SXA 360 over 2 Yorkville LS700P's for sub duty that's my FOH along with 2-Yorkville NX 35's powered by a QSC PLX 2502 for front wedges and a Yorkville NX750P for my drum wedge.

Also another member here I deal exclusively with is Mark and Liz who own this place. http://www.audiopile.net/product_page.shtml his expertise and help with my custom rack panel was a God send :thu: plus his cables are the best darn bang for the buck deal IMO.

Also for lighting needs Bill and Dj Biff are 2 other memebers I deal exclusivley with. Both have gave me some great deals over the years.

• Members

Here's my system.

2-EV SXA 360 over 2 Yorkville LS700P's for sub duty that's my FOH along with 2-Yorkville NX 35's powered by a QSC PLX 2502 for front wedges and a Yorkville NX750P for my drum wedge.

Twostone, what kind of mixer are you using?

• Members

Twostone, what kind of mixer are you using?

Peavey RQ2314 which I need to upgrade really bad.

Not because of the mixer, because I love the mixer. :love:

Main reason I needed to upgrade is, I've out grown the mixer and need more mic channels and aux sends.

Unfortunately I got laid off and didn't get to finish with my final upgrade and the mixer was on the bottom of the list.

I Had to many other items that were on top of the priority list like speakers,mics and rack gear that needed upgrading first. I can get by just fine with RQ2314 but a Mixwiz would be better because of all the features would be better suited for my needs. :thu:

• Members

I Had to many other items that were on top of the priority list like speakers,mics and rack gear that needed upgrading first. I can get by just fine with RQ2314 but a Mixwiz would be better because of all the features would be better suited for my needs.
:thu:

Yeah, I'm thinking about the Mixwiz as well. Do you know how many speakers and monitors you can use with its' Auxiliary Sends?

Archived