• Members

What is the cheapest PA that can handle vocals and a drum machine playing for about 30 people? It would be competing with 2 guitars and a bass (50w solid state Marshall, ~30w tube Fender, and ~50w solid state bass amp).

thanks

• CMS Author

Rent a system from a local place. "...a drum machine..." implies kick drum, which could imply you need subs. The cost goes way up with that. Instead of looking for the cheapest crap to buy, just rent something that actually works and if it becomes a steady gig (you didn't state if this was a one-off) you will know what kind of system to aim for. The cheapest rig that you can get is a far cry from the least expensive rig that actually does the job.

• Members

This might work into what you're looking for. But since its new, I'm not too sure about the performance or reliability. Normally Samson stuff are budget-friendly with acceptable performance.

Add a small mixer like Peavey PV6 or Yamaha MG102c and you have a PA system for less than $600.

JC

You could even plug a mic straight into it if you had to.

• Members

I suspect your guitar amps can run away from the bass amp; a 30 W tube amp on guitar can crank. How loud do you play? Do the guitarists crank, or play at mellower volumes?

I like the Yorkville's, perhaps a pair of over NX25p's a single LS720p sub. JBL PRX speakers are also a simple, good sounding powered solution.

I'm assuming you'll want a sub to deal with the kick drum of your machine - 12" mains over a sub are a good solution. The solution also depends on your budget, and the quality/volume of sound you want.

• Members

Rent a system from a local place. "...a drum machine..." implies kick drum, which could imply you need subs. The cost goes way up with that. Instead of looking for the cheapest crap to buy, just rent something that actually works and if it becomes a steady gig (you didn't state if this was a one-off) you will know what kind of system to aim for. The cheapest rig that you can get is a far cry from the least expensive rig that actually does the job.

I agree with this.

• Members

How about a keyboard amp or an acoustic guitar amp?

These are full range (so they should have some ability for handling drum machine), and usually have multiple inputs including mic level and line level.

See if you can try one out, or rent one as suggested by others.

• Members

The OP was seeking for cheap. IME I wouldn't go cheap. I did that and it was a disaster. Go with quality and rent the stuff you need. If you are looking to purchase go with quality and do yourself a favor, listen intently what is being suggested to you by the fine folks in this forum. I personally have learned so much from these cats in here.

:blah: :blah: :blah::thu:

Archived