Mixer options for under $100

• Members

Recently, I have been listening to music at home through my iPod on my PRXs. However, recently I have been leaving my mixer at the guys house we rehearse at so it hasn't been an option. I was thinking I could purchase something like a Yamaha MG102C Stereo Mixer or a

Peavey PV6 for $90 and just leave it set up all the time at home. I'd also like to use the mixer for occasional at home jams with vocals (2-3 mics) only through the PA, so having some onboard effects (mainly reverb) is a bonus.

Is there any other mixers that fit on this budget and can do what I'd like them to do?

• Members

I got a Behringer 8 channel mixer for $100 I think. No effects, but it has 1 send. Sure I might take a dump on me, but I dont really expect much for a $100 mixer.

Here is a link to it. Looks like it is 2 mono and 4 stereo inputs. It even has "High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life"!!!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XENYX-1002B-5Channel-Compact-Mixer?sku=582087

• Members

i grabbed this little bugger from beheringer awhile back behringer xenyx1204fx

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-XENYX-1202FX-Mixer?sku=631267

it was on sale plus i had a 15% discount or something so i got ot for 70 bucks after all was said and done. im not a beheringer fan at all! but for my rehearsals with my original band i needed a cheap little mixer for 2 mics...i chose this guy. the fx are cheesy but good enough for rehearsal. it works. seems quiet. not sure how long it will last..but so far knock on wood its serving its purpose.

check out this description from musicians friend

"Behringer's neo-classic "British EQ" brings back the warmth and musicality of those '60s and '70s mega-console desks that made music history"

ummmmm...im not so sure about that...hahaha. it does however have a pretty blue light on it!

• Members

I picked up a nice little Soundcraft Compact 4 a while back, I had to hunt around (discontinued) but found one for $99. Pretty versatile for a small board like this. Two Combicon XLR/1/4" inputs, and two stereo inputs, with 3-band EQ on all channels. One of the XLR/1/4" input channels has a "D.I./ Hi-Z" switch (for plugging in instruments), and the other XLR/1/4" channel has a 80Hz Hi-Pass filter. It also has dual headphone monitoring (engineer/artist). No FX.

This link shows the Compact 10. Scroll down and click on Compact 4 image;

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=121

Soundcraft has re-released the Notepad series mixers, but they're a bit more than your stated budget. I like the Notepad 124FX ($220.)

http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=173

• Members

Something else I just thought of.... would I be able to hook these up to my laptop for recording purposes?? I've got an old Zoom 8 track recorder that pre-dates USB. I never use it because getting anything from the Zoom to the computer is a pain.

If not, is there a similar unit in the $200 price range that can do this? I maybe looking at too many options for what I am willing to spend.

EDIT: I'm only talking about recording acoustic guitars and vocals. Not a big deal as I do have the Zoom.

• Members
Something else I just thought of.... would I be able to hook these up to my laptop for recording purposes?

Most mixers have a RCA stereo out and that's what I use to my desktop in the music room. I also use the RCA in for the output of my computer so's I can play stuff back on the room stereo/PA. In particular I have a 'ringer MX802A for that - it has 4 XLR ins and a couple stereo line ins which is enough to get vocals and the eDrums into the stereo for jammin'.

• Members

Something else I just thought of.... would I be able to hook these up to my laptop for recording purposes?? I've got an old Zoom 8 track recorder that pre-dates USB. I never use it because getting anything from the Zoom to the computer is a pain.

If not, is there a similar unit in the $200 price range that can do this? I maybe looking at too many options for what I am willing to spend.

EDIT: I'm only talking about recording acoustic guitars and vocals. Not a big deal as I do have the Zoom.

Check out this set-up;

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Alright... I am confused. Where would I hook up a pair of powered speakers to the mixers listed here. On my bigger board I hook them up with an XLR cable to either the L/R XLR output or mono XLR output. These mixers don't appear to have the XLR output option?? The PV does when you get into the larger models, but I'm trying to scale down to get something to leave hooked up at home for playing music and maybe use in an acoustic solo or duo thing.

Can you hook up powered speakers to a PV6? If so... how? Do I need a different cord or an adaptor?

Thanks.

• Members

Try these:

OK... so I get one of those and plug it into the out put of the Peavey and the other end into the sub. Then I just run XLR from one powered speaker to the next as I do now? Since the mixer is unpowered, there is really no way to "fry" the powered speakers, correct?

Simply enough.

Thanks.

Archived