• Members

Hello All,

It looks like its time to buy new speakers for our classic rock band. We blew one of our JRX's at a gig this morning (happy acccident?), and think its time to upgrade. We are going to need to have new speakers in the next couple of weeks, so I don't think we can look for the right used deal to come along. We currently use a Yamaha emx 5000 powered mixer for the mains, running the 2 jrx 15's as mains on one side and 2 yahama brm's as monitore on the other. We rent a Yorkville LS700p for our one subwoofer. You don't get punched in the chest, but it does handle the job for the small bars we generall play. Usually play for 100-150 a night. Guitar/Bass/Keys/Drums We can probably come up with aroung $1000.00 for new fronts. Any advice on speaker choices would be welcome. Would you advise moving to 12's rather tham the 15's we have been using?

Thanks

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions

I invited the remainder of the band to the thread. There may be some concern about the cost at around 1250 for the MRX. Is there anything closer to th $1000 mark that will do almost as well? Is there something that the guys should know about why mrx is such a highly regarded speaker?

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions

I invited the remainder of the band to the thread. There may be some concern about the cost at around 1250 for the MRX. Is there anything closer to th $1000 mark that will do almost as well? Is there something that the guys should know about why mrx is such a highly regarded speaker?

MRX is just a much better speaker line than the JRX. The only thing of JBL quality about the JRX line is the orange logo......;) Not they're best effort.

I agree that under that price the Yamaha Club series is good value if you don't mind the weight.

Winston

• Members

Peavey SP2 would be right around your price point.

The MRX's they are suggesting can be had for around $550 shipped.

FBT MaxX4 would be another good one at around your price point of $500 ea as is the RCF Art 312. You have to call places for the best pricing as they can only advertise MAP. Try Mike at Audiopyle. He frequents the forums here and carries both RCF and FBT as well as Yorkville.

• Members

Why did the JRX's blow up? Overdriving the amp section in the mixer will fry all of the speakers in your range (any many outside too). I'd really look at the cause of this 1st before throwing money down a hole.

• Members

Second. Or Yorkville E12's.

The Yorkies cut well as monitors (though they have a nasty hot spot around 400, which can be tamed with some polyester fiberfill), but the JBLs have better fidelity.

• Members

The Yorkies cut well as monitors (though they have a nasty hot spot around 400, which can be tamed with some polyester fiberfill), but the JBLs have better fidelity.

Yea they have a bump that can get nasty, and is quick to "drone". Once it's gone they are nice boxes. I never did try filling, although I've heard it helps. Just sold mine last week so it's a moot point for me.

• Members

Thanks for all of the reply's. As to why did they blow up, I haven't gotten that far yet. It was outdoors. We were using a generator and had some power glitches through the morning. We were pushing them hard. About an hour and a half into the job, someone reported that one speaker was sounding bad, then pretty much nothing. We may have overdriven as suggested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

We did wind up getting the MRX 512's. I think they sound great. So far we have only run some pre recorded music through them. Saturday night will be the real test. As I stated in the original post, we use a single Yorkville LS700P subwoofer that we rent. This makes it impossible for us to try different set ups before we play live.We were thinking of crossing over at 125. Is this a good starting point? Is there something in particular we should be paying attention to as far as the crossover point is concerned? Thanks

• Members

by overthehill:

Thanks for all of the reply's. As to why did they blow up, I haven't gotten that far yet. It was outdoors. We were using a generator and had some power glitches through the morning. We were pushing them hard. About an hour and a half into the job, someone reported that one speaker was sounding bad, then pretty much nothing. We may have overdriven as suggested.

Playing outside with generator power is suicide. Rental companies often time overlook giving you a good earth ground. I was hired a few years back for an outside gig and they had two generators, one for lights, one for me. As soon as I plugged in, my voltage meter showed 80 VAC. Good luck with that. I reported the low power to the PIC. He said "The entertainment we had last year didn't have any problem". Right, they had a guitar player that sang with a very small system. They also had a generator with twice as much juice the previous year. He wanted to play any way. People don't give a damn about your equipment. I wouldn't do it. I got paid, but I was never hired again by the same people. But I was a lot better off than toasting my equipment and having to pick up the expense.

Mike T.

Archived