Portable power for amp?

• Members

A deep discharge trolling motor type battery and a small inverter would do that fine. You'd need a battery charger too so if it is only a couple gigs you might want to just rent one of the mentioned generators. Where you at? I have a nice little Onan 350w generator that isn't too bad if you run it out on the end of a 100' extension cord :).

• Members

I ran a 60w AER Compact 60/2 acoustic amp for about 3 1/2-4 hours, on a 12v deep-cycle battery, and a 300w Xantrex modified sine-wave inverter. I had no issues whatsoever. (no noise/no hum/ no buzz,etc). I would recommend a more powerful inverter though. Xantrex recommends a 600w model (or above)for "musical instruments'.

• Members

19 A-H at 12 volts or (at absolute best) about 125 watts for 1 hour. You might get a couple of hours on your amp if the stars are in alignment.

2 hours would be more than enough. I've done beach weddings where I played for 15 minutes, and others for 30 minutes.

If I had to play the reception too, I'm sure that would be inside and would have power.

I plan on testing it before I use it at a wedding.

• Members

Definately test, and have a backup plan.

Absolutely, even if it's a loud acoustic guitar and a loud voice!

The reviews of similar products at Canadian Tire have been mixed. Cdn. Tire calls them eliminators.

However, I used a prototype of one of those for a weddding about ten years ago, and it worked very well. But... it was apparently built and designed by the guy who sold his version to the tire chain store.

Maybe quality control has varied since then. That's why I didn't recommend one. Hope yours is good.

BTW, just played a revolving restaurant as a solo (man it was strange) and all my gear and PA was run on battery power. A tub full of some sort of batteries that they charge every day. if I can get a picture I'll post - it was too dark for my cell phone camera.

• Members

I used it today to charge the battery and inflate 4 tires on a lawn tractor, then set up the amp and blasted my ipod outside in the yard for an hour.

There is still plenty of charge left, according to the battery indicator lights.

So far, so good.

• Members

I used it today to charge the battery and inflate 4 tires on a lawn tractor, then set up the amp and blasted my ipod outside in the yard for an hour.

There is still plenty of charge left, according to the battery indicator lights.

So far, so good.

Glad it's working for you.

Looks like the batteries I was talking about in the revolving restaruant were four car... batteries. They easily pushed a PA and guitar amp for four hours, but I'd much rather carry something like you picked up.

Hope it keeps on truckin'.

• Members

I did the beach wedding gig this weekend with my battery charger/tire inflator.

I was originally supposed to play three songs before the wedding, the bridal march, and then the exit song, For a total of about 20 minutes of music max.

It turns out they wanted me to keep playing as they took pictures, etc. They also wanted me to play for their "first dance" which turned out really nice (I did "You and Me" by Lifehouse).

So I played over an hour total and still had plenty of juice left.

Archived