QSC K10 floor monitors

• Members

I'm going to be purchasing one or two powered monitors soon. I'm guessing I can't go wrong (with the K10) as far as size, performance, and weight, but is there anything I should consider that might be in the same ballpark with a lower price tag?

Also, can anyone explain what the practical difference might be between a k10 and a JBL PRX512 when used on the floor? I've used the 512s as monitors recently and they were great, but I'd like to go with the K10s because they're physically smaller...

• Members

Smaller the driver in your box, the less overall volume you'll get out of it (all other things being equal.)

If you're cool with 10s... then the K10 is your box and is a pretty good compromise of size/weight/maxSPL. The footprint is pretty small. If you can get by with a little less stage volume take a serious look at the EV ZXA1. Even smaller footprint... only 18" tall/long and 19lb.! As a floor monitor you'll be surprised how well the EV performs.

The K12 is a closer apples:apples comparison unit for the PRX512M IMO... although the K10 stands up pretty well to that JBL box. The JBL is light and loud though for the power that's there and in my experience with an A/B test it has better bass than the K Series cabs despite the specs on paper. Either properly used as a monitor with a HPF engaged... and that point is mute.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I'm intrigued by the EV and RCF... I will have HPFs, but I'm concerned that they might not deliver volume-wise.

In this case, is there anything else (besides volume) to consider between the various speaker sizes?

Ultimately, I'd like to get more guitar and bass in the monitors so we can downsize our rigs... We play semi-loud rock and space is very tight (or else I probably would go with the PRXs since I use them and like them).

The more I think about it, maybe my question should have been: Is there anything comparable to a PRX 512m with a smaller footprint, for slightly less $$?

• Members

If you want bass on the monitors I don't think 10's would suit your needs.

Although I haven't heard them, people talk good things about Proel's Flash12A and Wharfedale's TITAN 12 active. You may want to check them out. A lot cheaper than PRX's...

• Members

If you want bass on the monitors I don't think 10's would suit your needs.

Although I haven't heard them, people talk good things about Proel's Flash12A and Wharfedale's TITAN 12 active. You may want to check them out. A lot cheaper than PRX's...

How can you possibly give an opinion on a speaker you have not heard!!!

I've played with plenty of bass rigs that have 10inch speakers and trust me it's not a limitation...

• Members

I have a pair of K10's, K12's and PRX512m's. All sound great as monitors.

My K10's get the most use as monitors. Most of the gigs are low to moderate volume gigs.

One band I play with twice a month has extremely loud stage volumes. I use the PRX512m's as monitors for this gig. When I tried to use the K10's as monitors, the limit light would kick in once the band got rockin'.

IMO: K10's for low-med volume gigs...PRX512m's (or K12's) for high volumes.

• Members

We use the EV ZXA5 15" as monitors and they ROCK. They sound so good, and the volume can get SO loud. We used one of them for the drum fill for the band "Blessid Union of Souls" and we couldn't believe the kick drum coming through that speaker. It sounded fantastic. Anyways, it's got my vote. The only thing is: it's a 15" and they have a really big footprint.

• Members

Ultimately, I'd like to get more guitar and bass in the monitors so we can downsize our rigs...

If you're eliminating the guitar and bass backlines and opting for the "more me" in the monitors (which I think is a really good idea BTW) you'll want bigger drivers. For bass/drum monitors I'd say a 15" LF driver for sure but you'd probably get by with a K12 or K10 for guitar.

Since we're now talking RCF as well I'll throw the FBT name in the ring. A Maxx6A would make a killer bass/drum monitor and the Maxx4A is no slouch either and could easily handle guitar monitor duties. Probably more than you're willing to spend but they can be found used at the prices we're talking here.

Here's how I had to think about it when we did this: How much would a gig-able guitar and/or bass rig cost? Add that to what you're hoping to get by with paying for each monitor and you've suddenly bumped yourself into the next tier of gear.

• Members

Thanks everyone.

I'm going to see if I can find any of the above locally and A/B with the PRX. The reality is, I doubt I'll have access to many of the speakers mentioned. Since there are so many variables affecting whether or not any particular speaker will work for the application, it's going to be really hard to decide on anything I can't hear for myself...

I'm surprised to hear that folks are maxing out their K10s - I would've assumed that they would be plenty loud. It certainly suggests I shouldn't really consider anything smaller... and perhaps should be looking at some more PRXs.

I consider our stage volume loud, but is it "very loud", or "stoopid loud"? Hell, I don't know, it may even be "moderate"...

It was easier to buy speakers for FOH, since there's typically a fair assessment of how many people a particular rig will cover...

• Members

Hmmmm... You heard them all?

Word is that a 400 bucks Proel Flash sub can run circles around a PRX518 (which I've heard many times and is a pretty lousy sub IMO).

You have your opinion and I have mine. Others here who have taken my advice regarding the 518's seem to be happy with the performance, and I have used them on enough installs to be confident of their performance as well. The titan is a weak comparison to the PRX-512 (as it should be given the price) and while I haven't heard the Flash, other Proel products that I have hraed have been average performers for their price and nowhere near the performance of products like the PRX. Different catagory IME.

• Members

Why would you put bass in a monitor if you have a bass amp onstage? I have used monitors for bass in rehearsal, but I didn't want to bother setting up a bass amp too. (Those were 12" woofers but I don't ever play bass loud.)

• Members

Why would you put bass in a monitor if you have a bass amp onstage? I have used monitors for bass in rehearsal, but I didn't want to bother setting up a bass amp too. (Those were 12" woofers but I don't ever play bass loud.)

We've been running bass/guitar with our amp heads placed wherever, with our speakers out front facing up like monitors. It works really well, but is a space hog (hey, wasn't that a band?). I'd like to get to a point where the bass player could use a Pod (no amp), and I can put a small combo on the back line, facing wherever it's needed, supplemented by the monitor wedges.

With our signal hitting us in the chin, instead of the back (or ankles), we don't need nearly as much volume from our rigs.

• Members

interesting... I've been deciding to get a pair of K12 or 512 for Monitors as well... Look sliek the PRX gets most of the vote... is there anything to the gating issues I keep hearing about with them or is it really isolated to just a few units?

• Members

You have your opinion and I have mine. Others here who have taken my advice regarding the 518's seem to be happy with the performance, and I have used them on enough installs to be confident of their performance as well. The titan is a weak comparison to the PRX-512 (as it should be given the price) and while I haven't heard the Flash, other Proel products that I have hraed have been average performers for their price and nowhere near the performance of products like the PRX. Different catagory IME.

I am one of those that love my 518s. I have heard a band using the Flash and I equate it to something along the JRX type cab. I was completely underwhelmed. I was not running them so I can

• Members

So, you did have a chance to hear the Titans... Cool... :thu:

But haven't heard the Flash12a, so can't compare with a PRX512, correct?

BTW, I do like the PRX512, but I don't think the matching sub is in the same league. To my ears, they never sound tight and punchy as I'd expect them to sound at that price point...

• Members

We have a set of K10's for monitors and they perform very well. Ive used them as small venue SOS gig's too.

I havent heard any Proel products but I have listened to a small titan sub and was not very impressed. I would probably look towards a PRX718 or a RCF Art sub.

There was a post on the PSW forums that stated the new 512 addition doesnt have the gating feature but I have never heard a follow up to that post.

Archived