Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QSC K10 floor monitors

I'm going to be purchasing one or two powered monitors soon. I'm guessing I can't go wrong (with the K10) as far as size, performance, and weight, but is there anything I should consider that might be in the same ballpark with a lower price tag?

Also, can anyone explain what the practical difference might be between a k10 and a JBL PRX512 when used on the floor? I've used the 512s as monitors recently and they were great, but I'd like to go with the K10s because they're physically smaller...

Smaller the driver in your box, the less overall volume you'll get out of it (all other things being equal.)

If you're cool with 10s... then the K10 is your box and is a pretty good compromise of size/weight/maxSPL. The footprint is pretty small. If you can get by with a little less stage volume take a serious look at the EV ZXA1. Even smaller footprint... only 18" tall/long and 19lb.! As a floor monitor you'll be surprised how well the EV performs.

The K12 is a closer apples:apples comparison unit for the PRX512M IMO... although the K10 stands up pretty well to that JBL box. The JBL is light and loud though for the power that's there and in my experience with an A/B test it has better bass than the K Series cabs despite the specs on paper. Either properly used as a monitor with a HPF engaged... and that point is mute.
    Where the Mississippi River runs west...

Comment

Both are good choices depending on your specific needs one may be better for you but I can't say for sure. IMO the PRX would be my choice but there are size benefits to the K10 that may matter more.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I have the K10 as a floor monitor, it's awesome!!!

Comment

I have the K10 as a floor monitor, it's awesome!!!

+1

We have a pair and use them for our vocalists... they work great.
          ​Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands
          Sound --- DB Tech DVA T4's + RCF TTS18a Subs | RCF TT08a + ART710 Monitors
          Rack --- A&H QU-16 | Sennheiser Wireless Systems | Furman P2400AR
          Lighting --- Chauvet Quad6 PARs | Chauvet + ADJ Lasers | QSpot360 Moving Heads

Comment

They are ok, a lot louder than EV ZX1's, if that matters. RCF310a's sound better IMO, and you can get them for around 600 bucks each.
            YMMV.

Release your inner DJ... then you will begin to see.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm intrigued by the EV and RCF... I will have HPFs, but I'm concerned that they might not deliver volume-wise.

In this case, is there anything else (besides volume) to consider between the various speaker sizes?

Ultimately, I'd like to get more guitar and bass in the monitors so we can downsize our rigs... We play semi-loud rock and space is very tight (or else I probably would go with the PRXs since I use them and like them).

The more I think about it, maybe my question should have been: Is there anything comparable to a PRX 512m with a smaller footprint, for slightly less $$?

Comment

If you want bass on the monitors I don't think 10's would suit your needs.

Although I haven't heard them, people talk good things about Proel's Flash12A and Wharfedale's TITAN 12 active. You may want to check them out. A lot cheaper than PRX's...
                YMMV.

Comment

The PRX is miles beyond the Titan and Proel.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/Fender Musical Instruments Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

If you want bass on the monitors I don't think 10's would suit your needs.

Although I haven't heard them, people talk good things about Proel's Flash12A and Wharfedale's TITAN 12 active. You may want to check them out. A lot cheaper than PRX's...

How can you possibly give an opinion on a speaker you have not heard!!!

I've played with plenty of bass rigs that have 10inch speakers and trust me it's not a limitation...

Comment

I've played with plenty of bass rigs that have 10inch speakers and trust me it's not a limitation...

We're talking about a PA speaker here, with 1x10", not a 110 pound gigantic cabinet with 4x10's.
                      YMMV.

Comment

I have a pair of K10's, K12's and PRX512m's. All sound great as monitors.

My K10's get the most use as monitors. Most of the gigs are low to moderate volume gigs.

One band I play with twice a month has extremely loud stage volumes. I use the PRX512m's as monitors for this gig. When I tried to use the K10's as monitors, the limit light would kick in once the band got rockin'.

IMO: K10's for low-med volume gigs...PRX512m's (or K12's) for high volumes.

Comment

We use the EV ZXA5 15" as monitors and they ROCK. They sound so good, and the volume can get SO loud. We used one of them for the drum fill for the band "Blessid Union of Souls" and we couldn't believe the kick drum coming through that speaker. It sounded fantastic. Anyways, it's got my vote. The only thing is: it's a 15" and they have a really big footprint.

Comment

The one K10 I played with could barely get loud enough to require you to use earplugs. Personally I'd say that was plenty loud but if you're into stoopid loud stage volumes no way will they cut it. 1000 watts indeed .

Comment

Ultimately, I'd like to get more guitar and bass in the monitors so we can downsize our rigs...

If you're eliminating the guitar and bass backlines and opting for the "more me" in the monitors (which I think is a really good idea BTW) you'll want bigger drivers. For bass/drum monitors I'd say a 15" LF driver for sure but you'd probably get by with a K12 or K10 for guitar.

Since we're now talking RCF as well I'll throw the FBT name in the ring. A Maxx6A would make a killer bass/drum monitor and the Maxx4A is no slouch either and could easily handle guitar monitor duties. Probably more than you're willing to spend but they can be found used at the prices we're talking here.

Here's how I had to think about it when we did this: How much would a gig-able guitar and/or bass rig cost? Add that to what you're hoping to get by with paying for each monitor and you've suddenly bumped yourself into the next tier of gear.
                              Where the Mississippi River runs west...

Comment

Working...
                              X