How would you power a cab with one of these in it?!?

• Members

Note the peak power is "only" 5,000 watts RMS and in the specs I saw, there is a pretty severy duty cycle limitation for 5000 watts... something like 20mSec and you must pay attention to all the tuning details.

It has a lot of potential, it really is a scaled up driver with some special construction features that make it reasonably viable. The problem is the coupling to the ambient environment is going to become a really limiting factor.

• Members

Note the peak power is "only" 5,000 watts RMS and in the specs I saw, there is a pretty severy duty cycle limitation for 5000 watts... something like 20mSec and you must pay attention to all the tuning details.

It has a lot of potential, it really is a scaled up driver with some special construction features that make it reasonably viable. The problem is the coupling to the ambient environment is going to become a really limiting factor.

The 5.3 inch voicecoil and a bl factor of 30 tm tells me this beast will push hard and the bigger voicecoil will shed heat better than a 4 inch vc.

But I can't let you get away with those last two lines Andy.;)

Those statements are far too enticing to my sense of curiousity to let you drop those lines without an explanation. Every now and then you manage to dangle a really great carrot.;)

I would appreciate it if you would take the time expand on what you see as the viabilities.

The last line is a real doozy....I can't even imagine what you mean by it, but I have been arround here long enough to know when to ask why.

For you to be that definitive in such statements you have either likely had experience in those directions or have postulated as to what is plausable in view of the physics.

So how about an insight on this one?

Glenn

• Members

The problem is the coupling to the ambient environment is going to become a really limiting factor.

Is that your way of saying that no matter how much muscle one bull has, it can only pull so much weight, cause he's only one bull?

Or are you saying the speaker is bull?

Or did I start all this bull?

Or is it that a 18" woofer can only move so much air, regardless of wattage and x-max, cause it's still only 18" of cone?

• Members

The triple spider, synthetic materials, deep surround convolutions, large I/O voice coil etc is all viable technology. It's a significant improvemet that ddresses the issue of mechanical damage. Maybe not as good as the claims but certainly in the 1200-1400 watts RMS range and well powered by 2000-2400 watts RMS (with appropriate processing)

The problem is coupling to the air, at some point accelerations push us past mechanical linearity of the air itself. You get shearing and poor interface which results in LF distortion and power compression. This is where a really large horn acts as a low frequency acoustic transformer to match the acoustic load with the envoronment.

Archived