PA Help for acoustic act

• Members

I went from a high end component rig after it was stolen a few years ago to a Mackie 404m and 15" cabs and I was fairly happy with the sound although it was light on power. And yes that was stolen also while I was traveling. Because of budget issues I was convinced by a friend that owns a music store that the Samson xm910 was a good value for a Powered Mixer. I was told by another store that the peavey PR15 Neos would be fine for cabs and they are inexpensive. Again I had limited $$. I bought them. I'm not satisfied. Just not clean enough and tone is lacking. I'm have a solid acoustic solo act and my sound is very important to me. What would you do in my situation? I realize I may have to stretch the budget.

PS I'm still using the same FX. Zoom A2 and Digitech Vocalist 2

Thanks,

Capt. Ron

• Members

What would you do in my situation? I realize I may have to stretch the budget.

Are you keeping the Samson mixer? What's the budget? Do you use tracks with drums and/or bass, or any kind of live bass playing? SX300's do sound pretty good. BTW, what's your location?

• Members

I don't know what to keep or exchange. No tracks, can't stand them. As far as the budget I will spend more if I have to. I'm OCD about my sound. The question is how much more. I paid $220 ea. I would go up to probably $400-$450. I'm in Stuart.

• Members

You might consider the EV ZX1. Passive version is about $300. New active version is apparently in the $450 - $500 range.

I use them for solo acoustic stuff and couldn't be happier. Very compact, incredibly light weight (19 pounds, I think) and clean, clear EV sound.

• Moderators

I would also consider budgeting for some gear insurance.

Probaby the nicest acoustic rig I've heard is a 1RU Pendulum Pre/processer, into a Hafler power amp into a Daedalus cab.

It sounded like hi-end studio monitors, and he was just using a 58 and a PU in the guitar.

MG

• Members

I'm in Stuart.

I've definitely been hangin' out on OJ too much :facepalm: so I'll be good and just ask what universe, galaxy, solar system, planet, continent, country, and state/province is that in?

Try a pair of PR10's if you only have guitar and vocals in the PA - quite a bit clearer than the PR15's :).

• Members

The PR's are not the most natural sounding cabinet IMO. Cheap, light, yes, open sounding... not really

They open up nicely if you apply CD-horn EQ to them - I'm pretty sure they don't have it in their internal passive crossovers like the more expensive Impulse series. They are certainly not SX-300A's but they are pretty great for $150 each shipped.

He'd certainly get a whole lot better sound with any decent active speakers and a passive mixer if he can afford it.

Archived