What to do with these Peavey sp2's

• Members

Hello, i just got a pair of peavey sp2's from the early 80's im assuming. They are the originals with the silver strips down the front. Rated at 150 watts and have black widow drivers with silver dust caps. I also just bought a peavey 8.5c power amp at my daddys junky music store. It puts out about 275 watts a channel at 8 ohms. I have an audio centron crossover with cd horn eq. And a smaller power amp that puts out 50 watts a channel. So heres my question. I run 3 vocal mic's through it at moderate volume because we are an 80's metal band. Should i run them passive with the internal crossover with just using the low cut and high cut filter on my crossover? Or... Do i bi-amp them with the 8.5c on the lows and the other amp on highs? If so,.... what would be the best crossover point and setup? I know they arent the greatest speakers but until i get my new sp2's in a few months i have to work with what ive got!

Oh and one more thing, we usually play gigs in fairly small rooms with 40-60 people. So no serious projection needed. Thanks guys!

• Members

Yes i did pay for them, a guy i knew had them and sold them to me for super cheap! I know you guys will problably say that was a waste of my money. But they really dont sound bad. I think he re-coned one of the blackwidows, and the horn drivers arent the stock ones. There selenium.

• Members

Gack, I remember making noise with a set of those in my High school days!

Good news:

1. They get plenty loud and are damn nigh indestructible.

2. If they get damaged at a gig, you are not out much $, we presume.

Bad news:

1. They are heavy.

2. They do not handle much power.

My advice: Run them passive, high-pass at about 85 Hz, and do not push too much power into them. With new drivers, the crossover will fry before the drivers probably will!

• Members

Gack, I remember making noise with a set of those in my High school days!

Good news:

1. They get plenty loud and are damn nigh indestructible.

2. If they get damaged at a gig, you are not out much $, we presume.

Bad news:

1. They are heavy.

2. They do not handle much power.

My advice: Run them passive, high-pass at about 85 Hz, and do not push too much power into them. With new drivers, the crossover will fry before the drivers probably will!

Thats what i was thinking, those crossovers were problably a huge part of the low power rating. Thats why i was wondering if i could eek a little more power out of them with bi-amping?

• Members

When you get your new speakers, scrap the boxes and sell the drivers (unless you get lucky and find a local customer just looking for those speakers, Ths drivers (and crossovers) have more value as components than the boxes do as a whole).

• Members

Thats why i was wondering if i could eek a little more power out of them with bi-amping?

If you have the spare gear laying around to do this, sure, give it a try. I doubt you will gain much, though.

• Members

The first pair of PA speakers I bought for myself were the original SP2s, round front top. They were very good sounding speakers for a bar band IMHO. DO NOT EVER grab the top edge for moving them, you can crack or outright rip them off!!!

The 150 watt markings are the same as today's RMS or continuous ratings, so it's the equivalent of 300 watts program, 600 watts peak in comparision to today's advertised ratings. The crossover IS the weakest link. It does have an automotive taillight bulb for driver protection, any inside glowing NOT involving smoke, that's what it is and you are clipping/overdriving that cab ;>) The woofers have user replaceable baskets and the horn drivers (RX22s) are also user replaceable. IF you notice any scratching on the woofer, take the magnets off and check the VC on the basket is clean. I had a small foam filter on the otherwise open Voice Coil rear deteriorate into the VC. Took it apart, cleaned it out carefully, reassembled and everything worked great. I also had the terminals quick disconnect (fall) off one of the horn drivers once. I crimped the fitting to make it tighter, put that back together and that is still going strong with the next owner (I sold them since). I was a 2nd or 3rd owner to start with and they have to be about 25 years old. Another common fault is the bi-amp switching jacks oxidizing or causing opens. they may need cleaned out if you have any intermittant signal problems.

They are heavy and a bother to stand mount but are effecient. I really liked mine for the occassional DJ gig I do but the size and weight was too much a bother for me ;>( I have some PDFs and data I saved from when I had mine. Email/PM me if you want me to send it to you.

Oh, and to make mine look "more modern" and better match other speakers, I pulled the front grills off, removed the silver strips, BW equipped and Peavey logos, and "blackwashed" the grilles using watered down black latex paint (to avoid paint buildup affecting the sound). Can't tell you how many times I spray painted and touched up those cabinets. I even removed the huge horn to clean and spray around it. They did look pretty good until an SKB keyboard case slid across the trailer and gouged the hell out of a top front ;>(

Boomerweps

• CMS Author

Thats what i was thinking, those crossovers were problably a huge part of the low power rating. Thats why i was wondering if i could eek a little more power out of them with bi-amping?

Stop worrying about how much power they'll handle. They'll get as loud as they can get with about 300 watts. That's all they need, because they are pretty efficient boxes. They'll be plenty loud for the 40 to 60-soul audience you require.

• Members

The 150 watt markings are the same as today's RMS or continuous ratings, so it's the equivalent of 300 watts program, 600 watts peak in comparision to today's advertised ratings. The crossover IS the weakest link. It does have an automotive taillight bulb for driver protection, any inside glowing NOT involving smoke, that's what it is and you are clipping/overdriving that cab ;>) The woofers have user replaceable baskets and the horn drivers (RX22s) are also user replaceable.

Boomerweps

The first sp2 with the silver dust cap on the 15 had no horn driver protection. It had the 22 horn driver in it.

The next sp2 was the sp2A. It had the 22A horn driver and a 250 watt BW 15 inch driver. It was rated at 150 watts as well even though the woofer could handle 250 watts rms/500 watt program in biamp mode.

Next after that was the Sp2ti. It had the 350 watt black widow and was rated at 300 watts rms.

The first sp2 with horn protection was the sp2G. The G was for the soundguard horn protection built into it.

The sp2g was the last sp2 I purchased in the line. I went to the sp1g and was happy with those for many years.

Dookietwo

• Members

The band I am playing uses these now. They get plenty loud and sound clear, but damn they are heavy. I just got a PRX 718 sub and those Peavey's are heavier than the sub. I think the band leader keeps them because he can't even give them away.

• Members

I just got a PRX 718 sub and those Peavey's are heavier than the sub.

Not to hijack but what do you think about the 718. I currently use MRX518s and am looking at going powered (PRX518 or PRX718). Not sure if the 718 is worth the extra cash. I've been on the fence for a while and need to pull the trigger. The subs would be used with PRX512 tops.

• Members

Not to hijack but what do you think about the 718. I currently use MRX518s and am looking at going powered (PRX518 or PRX718). Not sure if the 718 is worth the extra cash. I've been on the fence for a while and need to pull the trigger. The subs would be used with PRX512 tops.

I sent you a PM. In short, it's the first sub I have ever owned and I don't have a lot of sound experience... but I am happy with my purchase.

• Members

The band I am playing uses these now. They get plenty loud and sound clear, but damn they are heavy. I just got a PRX 718 sub and those Peavey's are heavier than the sub. I think the band leader keeps them because he can't even give them away.

you use the old old sp2's? What do you guys use to power them?

• Members

I like old school SP-2's not my favorite sounding box but near indestructable.

That 8.5 should be about perfect for them. Dont biamp them. For some reason there used to be tons of these floating around with JBL HF drivers in them (driver didnt fit so always a hole big enough for the driver with silicone around the to air tight the box)

• Members

I like old school SP-2's not my favorite sounding box but near indestructable.

That 8.5 should be about perfect for them. Dont biamp them. For some reason there used to be tons of these floating around with JBL HF drivers in them (driver didnt fit so always a hole big enough for the driver with silicone around the to air tight the box)

Thanks for the advice Gordon Sound. Haha, thats a pretty ghetto hf. These are loaded with selenium hf drivers. very crisp sounding. These need an insane load of paint though

• Members

Them SP2's were fookin' loud but the sound made you want to grab two power drills and jam them in your ears to make the pain go away
:freak:
. Or maybe that was just the folk's runnin' them 'round these parts
:facepalm:

They are pretty stinkin loud. But yeah, i really dont think they sound that bad. Maybe its because of the upgraded drivers. But my setup sounds great! 10 times better than my buddys jbl tr125's. Now the soundfactor series

• Members

You need to invite those idiots that you play with over to your house so they can hear what a decent PA sounds like.:lol:

• Members

You need to invite those idiots that you play with over to your house so they can hear what a decent PA sounds like.
:lol:

I will tell them just like that. :idea:

We actually did have to use one of the PRXs for a drum monitor at a larger gig. The gig went well, so I think that only furthers the thought that "the songs we play work" and "the equipment is fine". :confused:

Anyways, it kicks with the sub for listening to music at home. :cool: What I need to do is find the dive bars, put a three piece together, and work on my skills.. the guitar playing is good, my singing not so much. :cry:

• Members

you use the old old sp2's? What do you guys use to power them?

We are using a powered Carvin mixer.

I actually think the guy has SP3s, but they look a lot like what you posted in that craiglist add.

Archived