• Members

I am still working on some stuff for my churches sound system. While a recent visit to my sisters church, I noticed they used IEM. but they use an all wired system.. They literally walk up and plug in their 3.5mm in ears to a plug on the ground.. I dont know what kind of a headphone amp they are using to do this though. I like this idea for what we could do, but I was wondering if what I found will work.

Basically my setup would leave 2 monitors for the singers operating off of one aux send.. then the drummer, bass, and keyboard would all have their own mix using http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HeadAmp6Pro/ to power their in ears.

Would this work? They have mentioned liking to go the iem route if they had the money and to me this looks like this would be a feasible option. The only problem would be running the headphone wire under the stage about 20 ft, to each location..

Is there any problems from doing it this way? I wish I could see how they are going it at my sisters church. I am sure they have alot better system then we could afford being as they run about 10,000 people every weekend vs. our 100.

• Members

I am still working on some stuff for my churches sound system. While a recent visit to my sisters church, I noticed they used IEM. but they use an all wired system.. They literally walk up and plug in their 3.5mm in ears to a plug on the ground.. I dont know what kind of a headphone amp they are using to do this though. I like this idea for what we could do, but I was wondering if what I found will work.

Basically my setup would leave 2 monitors for the singers operating off of one aux send.. then the drummer, bass, and keyboard would all have their own mix using
to power their in ears.

Would this work? They have mentioned liking to go the iem route if they had the money and to me this looks like this would be a feasible option. The only problem would be running the headphone wire under the stage about 20 ft, to each location..

Is there any problems from doing it this way? I wish I could see how they are going it at my sisters church. I am sure they have alot better system then we could afford being as they run about 10,000 people every weekend vs. our 100.

My current band is doing pretty much the same thing to accomodate members without 'real' IEMs...my feed comes out of our headphone amp and into my Shure PSM600 (wired) bodypack, and while he works the kinks out with his new Galaxy wireless setup, we've got a straight headphone amp send going to our bass player.

So...as long as you have auxes to send to the headphone amp, it will work as a poor-man's IEM, but you HAVE to get some limiting in line there: the 'real' IEM systems generally have that built-into the bodypacks, but you won't have that, and you really should have that as a safety precaution.

• Members

You could easily create more problems than you solve if you don't do your homework.

That other church sounds like they had a pro installer involved. Perhaps your sister can get you an appointment to view their sound system, or better yet pass on the name of the company that did the install.

• Members

You could easily create more problems than you solve if you don't do your homework.

That other church sounds like they had a pro installer involved. Perhaps your sister can get you an appointment to view their sound system, or better yet pass on the name of the company that did the install.

I may try to set up an appointment but between them being 100 miles away and such a big church, I dont even know if they would consider something like letting me check out how their setup works..

• Members

100 miles away is a bummer. Usually when you get the right person they are most helpful. Do you have any local pro audio folks you could ask? That would be the most direct route. Sounds like an informed local person will save you lots of time and money. It's always much simpler the second time you do it!

• Members

Do you have any local pro audio folks you could ask?

um.. Well there are the people that sold my church the sound system they have now... Pro.. heck no.. I feel that after learning what I have here and the ProSound forum, that I know more then they do.. So Im pretty much stuck to what I can learn on here.

Archived