Speaker comparison

• Members

I know that this is a bit odd, but which would be a better performing speaker, the first generation SP2 powered appropriately (same vintage CS800), or the first generation EON15P?

I know that it is apples to pineapples, but I was asked to supply something for an event that usually uses the ancient SP2's with the protruding horn, and all I have available for their date is a pair of EON15Ps. My gut feeling is that they will work as well, and possibly better, but I don't want to disappoint the client. It is not to late to pass on it and they would respect that and continue to use by better stuff going forward.

• Members

The EON will sound better but the SP2 will be louder. What kinda of band? Indoors? Oudoors? You imply no subs?

Inside, >100 waterbags, no subs either way, although at one point their SP2's had the matching 1x18 "subs", but as I recall they had underwhelming punch. As long as the EONs come close to equaling or exceeding the SP2's everyone will be happy.

• Members

2 or 3 dB real world but the bandwidth would be different... and the smoothness factor is significant IMO. The original SP-2 does not go down very low, part of the tradeoff to increase sensitivity. Back then, sensitivity was more important.

Archived