What's a Good, Small Sub?

• Members

I don't ever want to carry around Peavey Black Widow 118's again. Those mothers are too damn big. What would you guys recommend for a more compact sub, preferably passive.

Important factors:

Size

Price

Sound quality

This would be for live sound for a bar band in medium sized bars.

• Members

Well price is pretty vague. Generally you can have 2 of the 3 things you're after, but you can't get good, small and "cheap" (depending on what you say cheap is).

Here are a couple of passives that are handled by one person relatively easily as far as size and weight, sound good, and aren't crazy expensive.

JBL MRX series

Yorkville LS608

• Members

Might as well go snipe hunting...

Seriously, though... there are no miracle boxes for sub-bass. There are many subs... powered and otherwise... that are recommended frequently here but you're still talking about roughly 100lb./box (and usually more) and most are large enough that a lift into the van should be a 2-person task.

That said, I'm really happy with our little KX1.5... roughly the same size as the Yorkville LS700P but with a single 15". Roughly half the size of your SP118s and 500W of quality power and less than 80lb. If you use multiple boxes on stage you'd be wise to look at the Danley TH-Mini. Not the cheapest, but two or more of those on stage together would really push some bass.

• Members

These guys are redoing their website so the price isn't there yet but was $300 + ship. They weigh 52lbs and are the lightest decent 18" subs I know about.

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/SL118S/LPI-CABSSL118S/

Somebody started a review of them:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/49825/0/

Maybe when he finally cranked them up they were so loud that his brain exploded? :lol:

There's a couple folks here who have heard them and liked them :).

• Members

Somebody started a review of them:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/49825/0/

Maybe when he finally cranked them up they were so loud that his brain exploded?
:lol:

Well that is one possibility as to what happened.:idea:

I think he cranked them up and blew the woofers all to rat{censored}!:p

I have the LS608s for when I am alone doing shows.

The 86 lbs feels lighter and small size at 8.6 cuft exterior moves easily.

They are just plain more efficient at 103 db1w1m, and have the same ferrite magnet woofer that used to be in the L800 series. They have the Yorkville 18/029,(B&C made) woofer. Those efficiency numbers are MEASURED, not calculated.....I have the frequency response chart.

Although I have bigger subs, having four of these gives a lightweight, scalability, and high efficiency.

They are not the greatest sub by far but they are awful tough to beat if weight, efficiency, and price is your criterion for judgement.

Archived