What was JBL thinking when they made the MR918?

• Members

It's a single 18" sub in a trap box, about 3.5' tall, not deep, maybe 14-16". It has a 300w or so driver in it that does ok.

I ended up with 2 of these and for the life of me I can't figure out why I'd even want to use them. I don't have matching tops (and they aren't that good anyway: MR835 or MR825) Even the matching tops which fit well on top aren't tall enough on their own to get the horn above head level. And because the box isn't that deep it isn't safe to put a poll mount on and a speaker on that.

It's rather wide too: prolly a good 26/28" on the front. 2 subs side by side would be akward, can't dp 2 stacked, the trap angle is like 45deg so there isn't a suggested array angle. So, what gives??

• Members

It's a single 18" sub in a trap box, about 3.5' tall, not deep, maybe 14-16". It has a 300w or so driver in it that does ok.

I ended up with 2 of these and for the life of me I can't figure out why I'd even want to use them. I don't have matching tops (and they aren't that good anyway: MR835 or MR825) Even the matching tops which fit well on top aren't tall enough on their own to get the horn above head level. And because the box isn't that deep it isn't safe to put a poll mount on and a speaker on that.

It's rather wide too: prolly a good 26/28" on the front. 2 subs side by side would be akward, can't dp 2 stacked, the trap angle is like 45deg so there isn't a suggested array angle. So, what gives??

Toss it and start over.

:facepalm:

• Members

A band that the keyboard player for my band plays in had them. I sold them a neat 8sp EWI rack with a soudtech PS1600 (800w @ 4 pc) and added thier CS800x for 2 mixes and a DBX 223. They were using it with a pair of JRX125 tops. I built a custom patch panel and had it wired very very simply for them so all they had to do was add thier... powered mackie 808M.

they knew to use the line out but didn't want the hassle of using subs all the time so after a gig the rack and subs got left at my place. And there the subs have been sitting for 3 years now. The CS800x went to the keyboard player, the rest I've been using where needed. The band has no intention of picking the stuff up.

Archived