OT-Trailer tires

• Members

I need two new tires for my 6x12 single axle trailer. The size is 205/75 x D15 bias ply. My trailer savvy friends say to stay with bias tires but are not helpful with suggesting a brand. The trailer currently has Towmax. Does anyone here have a favorite brand? Thanks!

• CMS Author

I've had Carlisle and Goodyear, no problems with either.

And there's no reason to stay with bias ply, other than price. Radials tow easier, wear longer, run cooler (part of why they wear longer) and track straighter than bias.

No matter what, make sure you're buying trailer-rated tires (there's an "ST" designator at the beginning of the size description, e.g.: ST225/75R15), and get the wheels balanced, which for some reason seems to be ignored 90% of the time and contributes to tire wear, wheel bearing and spring/torsion damper failure, and of course vibration in the trailer.

• Members

yes absolutely do not put passenger tires on a trailer. very bad things happen if you do and it surprises me how many folks dont seem to know the difference. i'm not saying you were going to do this but now everyone reading is reminded not to.

trailer tires need to be able to slide a little, and P or LT tires will not do that at all. the next time you see an 18 wheeler turn a sharp turn watch the groups of 8 tires on the rear of the truck and also the trailer - it is very weird how they ALL slide.

• CMS Author

The sliding issue is one of the differences between ST tires and passenger and LT tires. ST's have a stiff sidewall that serves to minimize sidesway which can lead to fishtailing. It also allows the tread to slide without canting the sidewall so much that the bead is loosened.

• Members

The sliding issue is one of the differences between ST tires and passenger and LT tires. ST's have a stiff sidewall that serves to minimize sidesway which can lead to fishtailing. It also allows the tread to slide without canting the sidewall so much that the bead is loosened.

So, does this statement recommend ST tires? I can't tell.

• Members

Definitely ST for trailers. I'm getting 2 Carlisle's installed in about an hour. I'm going with bias rather than radial's only because most all of the people I know who pull trailers much more than me say the radials are prone to fishtail because of the weaker sidewall.

• CMS Author

Definitely ST for trailers. I'm getting 2 Carlisle's installed in about an hour. I'm going with bias rather than radial's only because most all of the people I know who pull trailers much more than me say the radials are prone to fishtail because of the weaker sidewall.

The sidewalls are not weaker and ST radials don't contribute to fishtailing. The tire construction is identical to that of bias ply, with the obvious exception that the ply's are arranged radially.

Archived