Need your thoughts on Yorkie LS200Ps

• Members

I know they're not for anything big but I figured maybe for an occasional show with my own band where space is tight and a nice match for my M160s. At 56 LBs I can pick it up with one hand and might stack them for a little more punch. Think the kind of club where you might be tempted to not use a sub. I have plenty of sub for bigger shows as I own 18x18" subs of all kinds and makes, EAW, Yorkie, Peavey and JBL plus 8 LA400s. I can get a very nice pair for 500 and just wondered if any of you use or have used them, thanks, Paul.

• Members

Are you talking about the Yorkville M160's? I've still got a pair of those and can't bring myself to part with them, great little boxes with all RCF components.

I would say that the LS200P's are made for top boxes of that nature.

I've got two ES200P's (same thing) and use them all the time for smaller rigs. They provide a nice sort of "one note" bottom end.

I also sometimes use them (ES200P's) on boat cruises because there's no way I'm lifting a heavy sub up two or three flights of stairs (I pair them with U15's and they're heavy enough).

Are they LS800P's NO, but do they fill in the bottom with small rigs, YES.

Depends on your application IMO. Not a bad price either, I paid CDN. $600.00 for mine (used).

• Members

A single 200P won't keep up with a pair of micron 160s unless you're really not expecting much in terms of low frequency support. They are one note wonders and can be pretty weak - depending on location.

I used to use a pair of 110Ps (Pulse version) with my microns and they were just about right when close coupled - and that was with pre-recorded music. A mic'd kick drum would require a pair to be felt at all IMO.

A single LS700P will outperform a pair of 200Ps and will occupy less space. A single guy can carry it - once you learn how to pick it up. ;)

Al

• Members

My thought was to stack the 2 200Ps and put the other M160 on a regular speaker stand. I have 2 SW600s that are about 75lbs each which means I need the hand truck with my back, at 95lbs for the 700P I would just bring the LS608s instead. Some of the small clubs are restaurant/bars and they get nervous when they see you carrying in big cabs. I told the guy I would let him know by tonight, maybe I'll just pass on it. Al, where would you guess that one note is, Paul.

• Members

My thought was to stack the 2 200Ps and put the other M160 on a regular speaker stand. I have 2 SW600s that are about 75lbs each which means I need the hand truck with my back, at 95lbs for the 700P I would just bring the LS608s instead. Some of the small clubs are restaurant/bars and they get nervous when they see you carrying in big cabs. I told the guy I would let him know by tonight, maybe I'll just pass on it. Al, where would you guess that one note is, Paul.

It is a bandpass design, so efficiency over accuracy. Certain notes are just a hell of a lot louder than others. It is similar with the LS700P, just a hell of a lot louder. :) As for frequency, not sure. 80hz-100hz? The loudest peaks are definitely not happenning at 50hz... As mentionned, they are not bad close coupled. Still, I'd rather carry a single 700P when I need a sub. It is 90lbs IIRC but is quite manageable actually.

Al

• Members

A single 200P won't keep up with a pair of micron 160s unless you're really not expecting much in terms of low frequency support. They are one note wonders and can be pretty weak - depending on location.

I used to use a pair of 110Ps (Pulse version) with my microns and they were just about right when close coupled - and that was with pre-recorded music. A mic'd kick drum would require a pair to be felt at all IMO.

A single LS700P will outperform a pair of 200Ps and will occupy less space. A single guy can carry it - once you learn how to pick it up.
;)

Al

I have found that one LS200P will easily keep up with two m160's IF you're just looking to fill in the bottom with some kick and bass.

One of the gigs I use just one ES200P, is a twice a month Saturday afternoon "party gig" I've been doing for a year or two. Nine piece band, two powered JBL (Eon like) speakers. Small bar, always a packed house of about 150 people. I just use it for kick and bass, but it makes a huge difference.

Once again, if you're trying to fill in the bottom they're fine, if you're trying to "create" bottom as in a modern day chest thumper sub, than no the LS200P's aren't it.

The "one note" thing is more about the sound than the actual note. The LS700P's also have that same sound (same design) but are MUCH louder IMO. But IMO they are also too heavy for what they can and can't do.

EDIT: IIRC the pulse 110P's have about the same specs as the elites, but never really hit as hard, it's been a while but that's what I recall.

• Members

With some EQ and a real crossover (the internal pass filter flat out stinks) it can be made to sound much better and a lot bigger than it is. This is at the expense of output though as you need to tame the hump.

• Members

I have two NX55Ps and a NX200P and LS700P

Yes, an external crossover works much better with both boxes.

I play in a lounge jazz/latin band, and the NX200P is invaluable for

making the kick and conga's stand out in the mix. At the volumes we

play, we don't need pants flapping so it works great. At break time

when the ipod gets connected, makes all the difference

Outdoors the LS700P does it's job as well up to some pretty loud

levels. No, it doesn't hit the fundamental or 50Hz, but the kick

is solid and it pushes the band

Archived