Soundcraft GigRac 1000st

• Members

I've been looking for a compact, high powered stereo PA head for a while. The GigRac 1000st seems to fit the bill for me.

When googling user reviews I'm finding the majority of reviews are very favorable. However, I also note what appears to be a high incidence of 'infant mortality' failure than what I would expect to see.

Anyone have experience with the GigRac 1000st and/or can shed light on this PA head?

• Members

I'm a One Man Band that plays to small (

It's not the 'application' I'm asking about, i.e. whether it would work for me or not. After reading the user manual I pretty much think it's a good solution.

What I'm asking about is how reliable it is. Based on online user reviews at ZZounds, MusiciansFriend, Amazon, etc. I get the impression it (might be) suffering QC problems lately since it seems the bad reviews about units dying in the middle of a gig are more recent (vs say, reviews in 2006-2008 timeframe).

Is it a solid piece of equipment or is it prone to failure.

• Members

I just bought one used for a friend. I cooked it for a couple of days and had no problems. Over the years Soundcraft has had as a bit of a reputation for being not quite as durable as some of the other brands (they're still head and sholders above a lot of bottom feeder brands). I think in recent years they've gotten the message and are building them a bit more robust. The one I tested seemed well built.

They DO have a reputation for sounding great and with that I'd absolutly agree. Great sounding unit!!

• Members

I live on a boat in Central America. It's hard to find gear that does what I want/need and at the same time be small, lightweight and rugged.

I was looking at the Mackie 808S but it seems they are discontinued. That's when I stumbled upon the GigRac 1000st

The GigRac 1000st is everything I need (smaller/lighter too!) but I'm gun shy after reading user reviews about the (recent?) reliability problems. Not so much durability (I'm not hard on gear) but failures. I'm not in a place I can just run down to the local repair shop and shipping it back costs almost as much as a new unit (ergo, warranties are meaningless).

If I were to buy one you think it would be wise if I asked the dealer to burn it in for a bit ('cook it') before shipping it out to me?

Archived