Small Speaker VS Large speaker Pro's & Cons..

• Members

This thread is for my own curiousity, but Aged put a though tinto my head a few days ago and I want to gather some opinions...

I have a set of 2x15 boxes (EAWLA325)... I like them because they are punchy as all heck, sound really nice, and Get pretty loud. I've been debating replaceing them because they are not horn loaded, don't penetrate outdoors, and don't array well. My dream rig is a pair of EAW KF-650's on each side. Cost & weight become a big issue. I recently purchased a pair of SRX722's for a Client, and loved how light they were - and they sound nice. Not as Punchy as the 325, but good. I then bought a pair of PRX 512m's for me, and again they sound great and get stupid loud. Aged put the idea of arraying two per side, which would be louder than one single 325 on paper.

My hesitation comes from hearing several other rigs with either a Single 15+horn or 12+horn type cabinet, arrayed 2 or more per side over subs... and the sound was thin. (one was a Turbosound TXD-15 setup, one was a PAS 12" setup) All horn & sub, none of that Punchiness that I get out of the 2x15 of the EAW. The questions are:

A) Am I hearing with my eyes a bit?

B) Should those system be able to get the kind of punch & warmth (in other words, is operator error at play) I'm looking for?

C) How does one create the aesthetics of getting those small cabinet horns up in the air (aside from using stands...)

Starting to wonder... Those PRX cabs are really sweet for the $.

Todd A.

• Members

Wow, I thought there would be all kinds of opinions....

I'm in a somewhat similar boat. I normally use Yorkville U15's and like the "big sound" (my perception of course).

I've thought about doubling my current pair, and to that end picked a third U15 a while ago. But now instead of looking for the fourth U15, I'm thinking who wants to carry 320 lbs of front end around?

Something light weight that's easy to scale is looking better all the time but... will it sound the same, or as you hinted will I perceive the sound differently because of size.

Of course, if I asked my back the decision would be clear!

• Members

Personally, in a tops over subs systems, I find smaller tops to be tighter and more accurate.

Depending on venue size and music style my preferred systems are EX10's over EX2.2's or for larger venues, ZXA5's over EX2.5's.

• Members

Well, this last weekend, I heard a Turbosound Rig that sounded fantastic - a small 3 way on each side over 2 Subs. Just sounded Great. BEing driven by a DR 480, and looked to be in 4 way mode. BGW & QSC Amps, nothign bridged that I could tell.

I'm starting to think that processing is one onf the major keys here... The PAS rig is processed by a Behringer, and the Turbo rig I mentioned in my first post is done by a DRPA.

Guess the best way to know is to try them out :). I'm just kinda lazy and was hoping someone would have the answers for me ;)

T

T

• Members

Personally, in a tops over subs systems, I find smaller tops to be tighter and more accurate.

Depending on venue size and music style my preferred systems are EX10's over EX2.2's or for larger venues, ZXA5's over EX2.5's.

I don't necessarily disagree, Most 2x15" that i've heard have that tendency toward flabbiness... The 325 rig is simply excellent though... If All I ever had to do was indoor gigs, I would just keep it (which I may just do anyways!!!).

But then again, The ZXA5 is a 15" right? Definitely a better speaker than the PRX... 6K would get me KF650's... Which I think would smoke the ZXA5's, except for in the weight class. Do you disagree?

T

• Members

Well, this last weekend, I heard a Turbosound Rig that sounded fantastic - a small 3 way on each side over 2 Subs. Just sounded Great. BEing driven by a DR 480, and looked to be in 4 way mode. BGW & QSC Amps, nothign bridged that I could tell.

I'm starting to think that processing is one onf the major keys here... The PAS rig is processed by a Behringer, and the Turbo rig I mentioned in my first post is done by a DRPA.

Guess the best way to know is to try them out
:)
. I'm just kinda lazy and was hoping someone would have the answers for me
;)

T

T

The DR480 is a loooong way above quality and processing than a DRPA! Processing can be a major key, I've have very good success with a plain old Rane crossover though (DBX too). So complex isn't everything, user being able to figure it out is.

• Members

Well, in my opinion (which doesnt mean much)

The Turbosound TXD series is garbage so don't base your decision from hearing that system.

I am also not a huge fan of the JBL PRX series cabs, all of them that I have heard (local bands and a few installs) all sound thin to my ears.

I for one happen to love the sound out of a LA325 and could never even imagine the thought that (2) PRX512 would even come close too sounding half as good. They may get loud, but no way possible to be as good sounding.

Now, if you wanted to go to the JBL SRX series cabs they would put up a better fight, but I would still take the LA325 any day of the week.

I have heard plenty of good & bad systems, I have never heard a bad system that was using LA325's.

Again.....just my opinion :thu:

• Members

My hesitation comes from hearing several other rigs with either a Single 15+horn or 12+horn type cabinet, arrayed 2 or more per side over subs... and the sound was thin.

What were these cabinets and what was their coverage? Were they 90* cabinets? Did they sound like "less" because they didn't array correctly?

Dennis

• CMS Author

This thread is for my own curiousity, but Aged put a though tinto my head a few days ago and I want to gather some opinions...

I have a set of 2x15 boxes (EAWLA325)... I like them because they are punchy as all heck, sound really nice, and Get pretty loud. I've been debating replaceing them because they are not horn loaded, don't penetrate outdoors, and don't array well. My dream rig is a pair of EAW KF-650's on each side. Cost & weight become a big issue. I recently purchased a pair of SRX722's for a Client, and loved how light they were - and they sound nice. Not as Punchy as the 325, but good. I then bought a pair of PRX 512m's for me, and again they sound great and get stupid loud. Aged put the idea of arraying two per side, which would be louder than one single 325 on paper.

My hesitation comes from hearing several other rigs with either a Single 15+horn or 12+horn type cabinet, arrayed 2 or more per side over subs... and the sound was thin. (one was a Turbosound TXD-15 setup, one was a PAS 12" setup) All horn & sub, none of that Punchiness that I get out of the 2x15 of the EAW. The questions are:

A) Am I hearing with my eyes a bit?

B) Should those system be able to get the kind of punch & warmth (in other words, is operator error at play) I'm looking for?

C) How does one create the aesthetics of getting those small cabinet horns up in the air (aside from using stands...)

Starting to wonder... Those PRX cabs are really sweet for the $.

Todd A.

Get what sounds good to you and your clients.

In my opinion, the TXD series are utter crap. I had a couple of those....for 2 days, then returned them. I'm not sure whether I've heard a PAS system, but if they're anything like the drivers they sell to SWR for their Workingman series bass amps, I'll pass on them as well.

Processing is NOT the answer. Good-sounding boxes are the answer. Listen to whatever you want to consider, with only basic crossover, decent power (1x-1.5x RMS) and flat EQ. If it's not impressive, then pass.

• Members

The DRPA and 260 are fine pieces for most applications where the features and channels (thus processing power) are not needed. If you have a good box and understand the analysis part of the equation (ie. fixing what you can not trying to fix what you can not), most of the DSP devices work pretty darn good. There are exceptions, but in genertal it's not DSP limited.

• Members

Ok, I've got two of you declaring the TXD's as bad- I don't necessarily disagree, as I've had to replace the compression drivers in mine waaaay to often (They are rated 300w RMS, I was running them off a RMX2450, now I run Both off a single channel, and it still happened!!!!), but I don't think they sound too bad....

But Nonetheless it sound like the consensus is that these systems arent up to the ability of the PRX's.

• Members

I'd put the quality of the TXD's about where the MRX or slightly above. I ended up with the dual 15" TXD252's. They do pretty well biamped and hve a 1.5" exit horn (3"VC) and that may be a big part of that. It does seem that there is a limit SPL wise they hit sooner than the SP225's I usually use. As they are now I have only used them a handfull of times because the only advantage they have is being a little lighter.

• Members

What were these cabinets and what was their coverage? Were they 90* cabinets? Did they sound like "less" because they didn't array correctly?

Dennis

That's a good question Dennis- Both times I would say that the Array was done incorrectly- there was no Splay angle on them. Both times was a side by side arrangement, tight pack. the only angle in use was the trapezoid of the cabinet. So that could have something to do with it, but hard to say how much. The TXD's are 90 deg cabs, I do not know about the PAS, whcih turns out were 15" (I ran into the op last weekend).

Todd

Archived