Band Wants Click Track With Floor Monitors

• Members

Hi

I just got rider from a rock/blues band that I'm mixing for next week and it is a pretty standard setup except that they want me to patch their metronome through the floor wedges. I have done this before when mixing IEM's but I'm afraid that the click will be clearly audible to the audience especially since they let the click run for a couple bars to feel the tempo before they start. I'm usually pretty easy-going about accommodating these sorts of requests, but does anyone here have experience with this situation. I want to minimize the effect this will have on the audience and the sound in general. I don

• Members

I use a hi-hat sound, if and when I need a click. Most people will just think it's the drummer setting up the tempo on his/her hats.

If the click turns out to be audible through out portions of a song, the hi-hat sound just blends in (to the audience at least).

• Members

Every time I've done this, it was usually only the drummer, and he only kept it going for a few bars or so. I noticed it, but I'm sure the people who were looking for it didn't notice. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll require the click track to be at least 102db at FOH, it'll take the burden off your shoulders :thu:

• Members

I would say that would almost certainly be heard by the audience, but the band is asking for it and if it's their 'usual setup', they would either be well aware of that fact, or aren't aware. Or don't care.

But, it's spec'd on their rider so...

give'em what they want.

• Members

I agree... give them what they want/need to do their show the way they want to. With luck it won't be an issue at FOH. Either way, it is what they want, and if they are happy they will recommend you to others. If they are not, they will bad mouth you to others.

Which way can you afford to go?

Archived