Please help me choose an amp

• Members

So, I've decided to hold off on purchasing new powered stage monitors, and instead need to buy an amp to run my existing el-cheapo passive wedges.

The specs on the speakers:

Power Rating: 250W RMS

Frequency Response: 55-18kHz

Sensitivity: 98dB LF/105dB HF

Impedance: 8 ohms

I'm looking at the Peavey IPR because it's light and inexpensive, but I'm thinking the 1600 might not be enough since it's 300w at 8 ohms...

Any suggestions?

Criteria:

- Inexpensive

- Reliable (to a reasonable degree)

- Appropriately matched to speakers

- Small/light

Thanks!

• Members

That works out to 117.5db at the performer's ears - how deaf do they need to be?

Not looking to make anyone deaf - I just want to make sure the whatever amp I get is properly matched to the speakers...

This is why I'd run self-powered if I could - to avoid having to deal with this...:confused:

• Members

Amp power only needs to be matched to speaker power rating in that you don't want the former to be much bigger than the latter. I've run 350w monitors off a 200w RMX850 with no problems. With the clip limiters engaged and the amp attenuators up full you can get plenty loud without clipping at SPLs that will still damage the performer's hearing.

• Members

I'm sort of in the same boat... upgrading my monitor rig. I thought about powered cabs on the floor but it's more power run all over the stage and I'm already passive cabs on four mixes, so I'm trying to stay passive with my upgrades. I need a 4ch. amp and have settled (I think) on the Carvin DCM2004L. You might want to consider their other "L" series amps as they are right there with the Peaveys in the featherweight division.

• Members

What make and model are your "el cheapo" wedges? That might aid us in a recommendation. Are you sold on getting one of the new ultralight amplifiers? You could save some $$$ if you're willing to buy used. There are quite a few used QSC RMX amps out there for not much money.

• Members

The speakers I have are these:

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/product/SL112M/LPI-CABSSL112M/

I can pick up the IPR 1600 for around $275 shipped, maybe a little less, so that's where I've set my budget.

I'd consider something used, but the logistics might prevent it - I've got to have something in hand by next week, and there's not much going on locally in these parts... I'll definitely look around. The shipping on an older, heavier amp makes it hard to buy used abroad...

• Members

The speakers I have are these:

I can pick up the IPR 1600 for around $275 shipped, maybe a little less, so that's where I've set my budget.

I'd consider something used, but the logistics might prevent it - I've got to have something in hand by next week, and there's not much going on locally in these parts... I'll definitely look around. The shipping on an older, heavier amp makes it hard to buy used abroad...

I actually have one of these and its been a great little speaker.

Archived