Mono rig help needed...

• Members

So I have been running my rig in mono for small bar gigs from stage, but sending left and right main feeds from my mixer > Eq > crossover > amp....so basically taking up two channels of an amp to run a mono feed. Channel pans all dead center.

I want to run tops and subs off the same amp as I'm getting old and feable and don't want to carry three amps(tops, subs, monitors). So I was thinking of sending just the RIGHT main feed from the mixer to the right input of eq/crossover and run xover right highs to amp channel 1 and xover right lows to amp channel 2.

Is this correct, or do I need to get a L/R stereo XLR to mono XLR cable made? Also do I need to hard pan all the channels to the right, or just leave them centered.

Current Rig: 01v Mixer > db 231 EQ > Rane MX22 xover > crown XLS602 amp

Thanks in advance for any help. I tried to google search this forum but didn't come up with much and I am sure this has been discussed before. :facepalm:

• Members

So I was thinking of sending just the RIGHT main feed from the mixer to the right input of eq/crossover and run xover right highs to amp channel 1 and xover right lows to amp channel 2.

This'll work fine. Leave your channel pans at center.

• Members

Or you can have a bit of fun and leave the crossover connected to both channels of the amp and just send the "Hi" output of the left channel of the crossover to one channel of the amp to power the mains and the "low" output of the right channel of the crossover to the other channel of the amp to power the subs. Now you can leave anything you want in the subs panned to the center and anything you only want in the mains panned hard towards the left. Instant easy "aux fed subs" clone :cool:.

• Members

Or you can have a bit of fun and leave the crossover connected to both channels of the amp and just send the "Hi" output of the left channel of the crossover to one channel of the amp to power the mains and the "low" output of the right channel of the crossover to the other channel of the amp to power the subs. Now you can leave anything you want in the subs panned to the center and anything you only want in the mains panned hard towards the left. Instant easy "aux fed subs" clone
:cool:

I did it that way once because I had run out of AUX outputs and it worked fine.

• Members

...or powered speakers. It is nice to leave ALL the amps behind.

Yeah...I catch your drift....but I like passive cabs.

What if the amp goes bad on the powered cab? Can you just gut the amp and convert it to passive, or would you spend a ton to get the box fixed/interior amp replaced which would likely be the cost of a new box. I don't know.

At least with passive boxes, I can upgrade amps when appropriate and mix and match.

Also, I went from JBL EON P15 (powered eons) as mains to my current passive boxes (EV SX300). I never knew where to set the level on the Eons...full-on...3 o'clock? And it was a pain to adjust them since they were on sticks.

Archived