Opinions on EV's new ZXA1's as a keys/vocal monitor?

• Members

I play keys and guitar in a popular nightclub/cover band and I share the same role with another player in the band. He has A Traynor K4 keys amp which sends our keyboards to the FOH. I have a simple set up, one or two keyboards plus a vocoding effects unit that I run through a small submixer into channel 3 of his amp. He occupies channel one and two. I also run aux out on my sub mixer to very small but underpowered 50 watt keys amps at my feet. The monitoring field is very directional, maning if your ears are not directly in the speaker path it's hard to hear and distinguish the notes your playing.

Initially I was interested in the QSC K10... but after reading reviews the ZXA1's have peaked my interest. I like the fact it's light and portable. I could mount it on a small stand instead of at my feet. Most of all is the price.. $450-500.

I don't need tons of volume, just some clarity. My concern is bass response with an 8" speaker. I play synths more than keys and the 50 watter's 8" wedges at my feet break up on some deep sounding patches. However I've read some great reviews on these speakers. I'm not looking for a FOH experience. Just something I can hear notes more clearly and won't 'fart out' in lower registers and octaves.

• Members

The K series K8, K10 will blow away the EV in terms of bass output and overall spl.

I have done direct comparisons side by side.

If you were looking at the K-10, the EV has no chance.

I don't need anything that heavy duty. Remember I'm only near field monitoring my keys.. not amplifying them fto fill an entire room.

• Members

The K series K8, K10 will blow away the EV in terms of bass output and overall spl.

I have done direct comparisons side by side.

If you were looking at the K-10, the EV has no chance.

Funny, QSC's site lists the K8's usable range at 66Hz @ -6dB whereas EV lists the usagle range for the ZXA1 as 60Hz @ -3dB.

• Members

Do you really need or want a lot of bottom-end for a keyboard/vocal monitor anyway? Wouldn't it be prudent (Dana Carvey/George Bush Sr. :)) to keep the monitors' low frequencies to a minimum, in order to avoid potential feedback with the vocal mic?

• Members

funny, very funny! EV also says the sb122 goes 130db.

Ev has some wack specs so whatever. The EV sounds great but does nothing below 100 most likely. When I did the side by side, the EV sounded like little computer speakers against a K-10

• Members

funny, very funny! EV also says the sb122 goes 130db.

Ev has some wack specs so whatever. The EV sounds great but does nothing below 100 most likely. When I did the side by side, the EV sounded like little computer speakers against a K-10

The ZXA1 does sound great. Why can't you simply state that the K10 has more bass output, which seems to be your point, and leave it at that? Stating that the ZXA1 sounds like a computer speaker will make people doubt your credibilty.

For clarity in monitoring I would take the ZXA1 over the QSC, but for keys I doubt if it will produce enough bass. The EV bass response spec is measured in half space, which is BS. The only way you will approach 60 Hz is with the cabinet placed against a barrier, like the floor. In free space I'm guessing it rolls off at about 80 Hz.

• Members

... so the EV will have better bass output as a floor monitor, yes? So will the QSC... or any speaker for that matter.

I think we could very easily make a list for hierarchy of usability for these compact speakers where you'd rank them from small footprint / lightweight to bass output / higher max SPL to assist those looking for floor monitors. Keeping in mind that this single list should have speakers in relatively the same price/power/feature range.

Feel free to add/subtract/rearrange...

small footprint / lightweight

EV ZXA1

QSC K10

JBL PRX512M

QSC K12

Yorkville NX55P

higher Max SPL / more bass output

• Members

Of course... ;)

Seriously though... I think two reasonable people could probably agree on a ranking based on sound quality... but adding that to such a scale would require an XYZ 3D graph, right? The idea is probably just an exercise in futility... feel free to disregard.

Archived