QSC GX3 or GX5

• Members

Previously on this forum, I have been recommended a QSC GX3 to power my subs and tops - the crossover function is an attractive feature for me.

I am using a pair of 8 ohm EV Force i Subs (rated 700w programme) and a pair of 8 ohm Yamaha AX12 tops (rated 300 watts programme).

I can now afford to buy a GX3 but have noticed that the GX5 is not prohibitively more expensive.

I just want to be sure that the GX3 is the better option of the two and would welcome any opinions.

• Members

The top boxes are the limiting factor here. They are rated the lowest of the pair. Looking at it I'd prolly still use a GX5 in mono with subs on CH1 and tops on CH2 and back down the input attenuator (does not prevent damage or limit output power to lower than rated) by -3dB or so. This is to give a 2:1 ratio of sub to top.

• Members

If you were local I'd say go ahead with the GX5 and when the tops blow buy the pair of EV Eliminator i tops I'm trying to find a home for ;). Problem is the GX5 is really too much power for those tops but the GX3 is a bit less power than optimum for those subs. The GX3 is the safe choice.

• Members

GX-5 is fine but the tops are reallythe limiting factor. Since you are biamping, the tops will be high passed at >100Hz so mechanical damage is not likely. That leaves thermal which the speaker is probably safe powered at around 250 W/box. Be careful.

• Members

I have one of each. I have been using the GX5 for mains and subs with the internal crossover and use the GX3 for monitors. We played an outdoor pool/ patio party a couple of weeks ago (60-80 people) and the customer was freaking a little about how loud we would be. I changed over and used the GX3 for the mains and subs and it sounded really good.

• Members

I have one of each. I have been using the GX5 for mains and subs with the internal crossover and use the GX3 for monitors. We played an outdoor pool/ patio party a couple of weeks ago (60-80 people) and the customer was freaking a little about how loud we would be. I changed over and used the GX3 for the mains and subs and it sounded really good.

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn the volume down rather than changing equipment? They put a master fader on a mixer for a reason....just saying. :cop:

• CMS Author

I've been trying to match up an engine to pull my cargo trailer but I don't want to much power because that will be wasting fuel but I still want it powerful enough to go up hills, any suggestions?

You need at least 3000HP, and you need to run it flat-out all the time. If you let off the gas at all, you'll risk blowing the engine.

• Members
I've been trying to match up an engine to pull my cargo trailer but I don't want to much power because that will be wasting fuel but I still want it powerful enough to go up hills, any suggestions?

Maybe get a transmission with it? ;)

Archived