Peavey EU 218 subwoofer

• Members

I wonder which configuration they are using, no manual to download, but it's not on back-order on MF.

isobaric.gif

Another enclosure design that you may hear of is isobaric. Isobaric is not actually an enclosure type but a woofer loading method. Isobaric loading can be used in conjunction with any of the enclosure types, except perhaps infinite baffle. Isobaric loading consists of two woofers coupled together by a short enclosure which is only long enough to prevent the two woofers from striking one another. The woofers may be mounted face to face, back to back or front to back. It is important however to have the woofers firing in phase with one another. In order to accomplish this with the woofers firing front to front or back to back one of the woofers speaker leads must be reversed with respect to the other woofer.

Isobaric loading is usually used when space is at a premium or a maximum number of woofers wish to be used in a certain volume of space. By isobarically loading the woofers, a box of only half the size of a one woofer box is needed. For example, if a 12" woofer requires a two cubic foot box, the same 12" woofer isobarically loaded only requires a one cubic foot box. The cost of this design, other than doubling the woofer cost, is a reduction in the subwoofer system efficiency by three decibels (if both woofers are given the same power as a single woofer), which is equivalent to halving the amplifier power. New, small box subwoofer designs have all but negated the need for isobaric loading in car audio and it has fallen out of popularity.

Advantages of this design are increased linearity in the speaker movement, lower space requirements, and increased power handling.

Disadvantages are increased cost, increased design and assembly complexity, and decreased efficiency.

• Members

anyone else notice the s112 yamahas have an odd bump at around 400 ish? everytime i have used them for wedges i have to practically nuke 400 area but when i use the s115 for wedges i can leave 400 alone, the bump seems to move up into the 700 area.

• Members

No idea on why the subs for rehearsal. The sub seems like a really cool idea though! I'd really like to hear one: small, compact, and goes low don't always go tegether. I have a feeling peavey could really do well with this. Or it will get shelved because people are so used to buying SP118's and SP2's for the last 30-40 years now.

EV ForceSub was originally a dual 15" sub in an isobaric design. The box was small and the woofers were crap. 2x 4ohm 15's wired in series, the power handling was rather low (300w/1200w peak) and the idea was to run signal full range into the sub and jumper to the tops. Subs would naturally roll off around 200+ and the tops would be 20-20k overlapping the subs.

Archived