Peavey 1505 Not working

• Members

I have the original sp2's. One still has the black widow with the silver dust-cap. Model 1505. It was farting out, so i cleaned the gap, then put it back together. Put it back in. Worked for 5 mins then cut out. Took it back out, re-adjusted the magnet, put it back in, worked for another 5. then nothing. Im making sure its evenly tightened and thoroughly tightened. Whats going on?

• Members

It may be a goner. Luckily, BW drivers aren't terribly expensive, and have field replaceable baskets. In fact, if yours is new enough, it might be a candidate for a new basket. That'll save you a few bucks....~$80 vs $150.

I found the basket, 80$. Any other ideas on the problem?

• CMS Author

I found the basket, 80$. Any other ideas on the problem?

The voice coil could have an intermittent open. The gap may not be as perfectly clean as it really needs to be. If you replace the basket, you need to make absolutely sure it's spotless. Get a magnifying visor or glass, and good lighting. Follow the instructions to the letter, and if you have any questions, ask here.

• Members

The voice coil could have an intermittent open. The gap may not be as perfectly clean as it really needs to be. If you replace the basket, you need to make absolutely sure it's spotless. Get a magnifying visor or glass, and good lighting. Follow the instructions to the letter, and if you have any questions, ask here.

got it spotless. The coil is making quite a rubbing noise intermittently when playing a low hz sweep. Not consistant. than sometimes it shuts off, then when i boost the volume a little, the speaker kicks back in.

• CMS Author

got it spotless. The coil is making quite a rubbing noise intermittently when playing a low hz sweep. Not consistant. than sometimes it shuts off, then when i boost the volume a little, the speaker kicks back in.

Did you inspect the voice coil to see where it's rubbing? It's possible the VC is rubbing as it heats up, and the rub point could be worn through the coating/insulation and shorting against the gap. Kinda remote possibility though, based on the symptoms.

What you describe still sounds to me like a dirty gap more than a short or open.

• Members

Did you inspect the voice coil to see where it's rubbing? It's possible the VC is rubbing as it heats up, and the rub point could be worn through the coating/insulation and shorting against the gap. Kinda remote possibility though, based on the symptoms.

What you describe still sounds to me like a dirty gap more than a short or open.

How do i make absolute sure its clean. i went through it with tape until i got no more black

• CMS Author

How do i make absolute sure its clean. i went through it with tape until i got no more black

Definitely check the tinsel leads.

As I wrote earlier, get yourself a way to see in the gap, and keep on cleaning. I'm not saying for sure it's that, but the symptoms behave like it is.

• Members

Could be anything in the VC, leadouts or tinsel. That's an aluminum VC and the leadout bonds are notorious for intermittents. They are not repairable and the only fix is replacement of the basket. In fact all intermittent problems with that speaker requires a new basket other then the solder joint to the binding or terminal post. It's the mature of the construction of the driver.

• Members

binding or terminal. That's what I get for typing in the dark while mixing.
;)

Thanks guys. it is just the coil rubbing severely. I got the magnet positioned so that it doesnt rub as much. It will work for now, but i ordered a new basket, its on the way. One more question here. These sp2's are darn loud on my peavey 8.5c, but i use it at high volume at 8 ohms a channel. Its plenty loud at that point, but the amp goes into clipping if the singing is too high. Could i bridge the amp to get a tad more headroom? id just have to be really careful and keep it at a sensible volume, as these are 300 watt max speakers

• CMS Author

You should keep it at a reasonable volume in all cases. The danger of speaker damage is about the same from occasional clipping as from too much power.

EDIT: Hold the phone. The IP8.5 has SPS. That amp won't clip. The lights indicate that SPS is engaging.

Leave it as it is.

• Members

You should keep it at a reasonable volume in all cases. The danger of speaker damage is about the same from occasional clipping as from too much power.

EDIT: Hold the phone. The IP8.5 has SPS. That amp won't clip. The lights indicate that SPS is engaging.

Leave it as it is.

thanks!!!!all i needed to know

Archived