New B-Rig Mixer

• Members

Hello once again. I have some debating to do but i thought i would bring it outta my head and into the public.

So i need a new console for my B rig. I currently have a gl2200-24 being used but i have found i often need more aux's so my options are as followed.

A. Buy another Allen & Heath analogue console with enough aux's (gl 2800 - 3300) something in there and that price range, used. or

B. Buy a Yamaha o2r that is floating around cl for $1200. The reason i like this option is i already have upgraded to the ls9-32 on my A rig and all my guys know how to use it and the o2r isnt all that different, and the fact that if i need more channels i can get another and link them. Now i know this isnt typically a "live" console and its a bit bulky but its a hell of alot cheaper than another ls9

Any other ideas?

P.S. Im not a fan of the studiolive so thats not exactly one of my options

• Members

Overall the 02R is really not that freindly live. 8xlr and 8 more 1/4 ins, it isn't set up as logically as the 01V or 03D. It's rather big for what it does. I'd look at the 01V96 instead. Maybe a GL3300 in a 24 channel frame? Might be too big.

• Members

well dont get me wrong I still love analogue I just like the fact that digital has everything inside so no more external comps. and effects taking up space and weight in my foh rack. Not to mention scene recall. Hence my indecisive-ness

• Members

I've used my 01v96 w/Studio Manager for live work and found it very workable. The only drawback is needing a laptop to take to gigs, but my old Dell works quite nicely for it.

I've been working with an LS9-32 for a while now. Without the Studio Manager software, it is almost worthless for live use. I struggled to get it setup in a reasonable amount of time because of the operator interface. About 2 weeks ago I installed the SM software on my laptop, it's much easier now. I wish my laptop had a 24" wide screen, it would make the application screen layout better. At least with saving complete scene's, I can usually find a baseline setup and tweek it from there...

• Members

I've been working with an LS9-32 for a while now. Without the Studio Manager software, it is almost worthless for live use. I struggled to get it setup in a reasonable amount of time because of the operator interface. About 2 weeks ago I installed the SM software on my laptop, it's much easier now. I wish my laptop had a 24" wide screen, it would make the application screen layout better. At least with saving complete scene's, I can usually find a baseline setup and tweek it from there...

The only real use for SM that I found for it was quickly doing line checks from stage; I couldn't imagine doing much with that program once everything is live. But I have only used the o1v96's and m7cl's.

Is the interface on the LS so bad, or are you just not super familiar with it yet? What exactly are y'all using SM for once everything is in motion?

• Members

Is the interface on the LS so bad, or are you just not super familiar with it yet? What exactly are y'all using SM for once everything is in motion?

I don't consider myself a dummy, but when I checked out the LS9 at AES last year and I found the interface to be fairly poor and unintuitive. There's a lot of scrolling around with arrows. How to bypass processing was not obvious, nor was how to group/upgroup channels.

-Dan.

• Members

I don't consider myself a dummy, but when I checked out the LS9 at AES last year and I found the interface to be fairly poor and unintuitive. There's a lot of scrolling around with arrows. How to bypass processing was not obvious, nor was how to group/upgroup channels.

-Dan.

There is a lot of little shortcuts for that kinda stuff that I use. I learned most of how to do things from youtube. I love my ls9. Sure Id rather have the m7 but the price didn't justify it for my uses.

• Members

The only real use for SM that I found for it was quickly doing line checks from stage; I couldn't imagine doing much with that program once everything is live. But I have only used the o1v96's and m7cl's.

If I were running the 01v from stage I probably wouldn't use the SM once initial setup was done, as I wouldn't really need it, but for running from FOH I find it quicker/easier to have the SM up and running; among other things it lets me see more easily what is going on with all channels.

• Members

If I were running the 01v from stage I probably wouldn't use the SM once initial setup was done, as I wouldn't really need it, but for running from FOH I find it quicker/easier to have the SM up and running; among other things it lets me see more easily what is going on with all channels.

Shoulda got a 'ringer DDX3216 - full time meter bridge :thu:.

:lol:

• Members

What about the new Presonus 24 channel StudioLive. It has more functionality than the 16 channel version (which I own and love). Some of the extras are fully parametric EQ's, frequency dependent gates, 10 aux sends (and they don't steal from the built in dual effects).

Plus you get the recording capability which could be an additional source of revenue, even if it was just to provide raw tracks on DVD for the band to mix themselves or take somewhere to master. $0.25 in DVD cost could be $100+ more revenue and you can burn them during breaks and last set as you start to tear down so there's no extra labor involved.

Archived