one more nail in my coffin today

• Members

member when birthdays were fun? something to look forward to? you got presents, had a party, had fun.

member when that slowly changed? stopped looking forward to them, no more presents, maybe an acknowledgment from friends, a quiet night......

than at one point you dont want more birthdays?

today is just a day like any other day; i have to go to work tonight. and yet i feel older - the numbers creeping up on me - the knees are still sore from CPR training on monday - the high school tech kids at the show last night enough to make me scream and pull my hair out.

sigh.

at least mom called. then the mandatory dinner with parents, then inlaws, then wondering how much longer your parents are going to be able to call and go to dinner. wondering about how just a while ago your grandparent passed away and now your parents are now older than your grandparents were when they died......

the wife wanting kids and for me to get a "real job" instead of this audio/music thing so we can afford a home that doesnt suck.

i hate birthdays. 5/19 is the new 9/11

• Members

Happy Birthday. At least you are well enough to complain.
:thu:

Could be worse, could be raining....

:D

weather is nice outside. before work i am going to put some time in a box i am building (for a D4 and it's para)

• Members

Dude, I don't know how old you are, but if you guys are stil; thinking kids, can't be all that old...

i'm 38 and loving life more than ever... Sometimes, it's about your own mindset- Sure I worry about my parents, both of which will turn 80 inthe next year... and my sister, who has fought a monster battle against Breast Cancer... but I don't allow myself to dwell on this stuff- Find something you love to do and give it your love- and to be honest, Kids might just be that thing that breathes life back into you!!!!

T

• Members

Dude, I don't know how old you are, but if you guys are stil; thinking kids, can't be all that old...

i'm 38 and loving life more than ever... Sometimes, it's about your own mindset- Sure I worry about my parents, both of which will turn 80 inthe next year... and my sister, who has fought a monster battle against Breast Cancer... but I don't allow myself to dwell on this stuff- Find something you love to do and give it your love- and to be honest, Kids might just be that thing that breathes life back into you!!!!

T

i'm not all that old - i'm 37, but i feel really old. the last 7 years have been tough - i got really sick 7 years ago and it has been a royal battle of willpower, money, and patience. some of the drugs used to help me actually caused a variety of things to get far worse like my skeleton. i have fairly severe osteoporosis which is strange for a 37 year old male. i have the bone structure of a 78 year old man. it was caused by the incredible amount of steroids i was on for so long which also caused a weight gain of around 80 pounds. i'm at 60% lung capacity so people my age can run rings around me hauling gear; i get tired/cant breathe/heart pounding/eyes get blurry and have to stop and people think i am being lazy - that troubles me.

i am on osteoporosis meds :facepalm: i cant take steroids anymore (thank god, those things {censored} with your mind and not in a good way like weed) i have to take Xolair twice a month (Xolair costs $2000 twice a month. let that soak in for a minute)

in my brain i still feel like a positive person. my body wont do what i want it to anymore and this makes me a little cranky. the entertaiment economy finally went to hell here (it did take a while longer than other places) and i have been scraping for so long i forgot what not-scraping is like.

i am at what i consider max capacity for workload right now and my wife wants to move, have kids, and stop working and for me to make this all happen in about 2 months. i dont have an answer as to how this will happen - i dont know how to go from scrape to rich in two months.

i do really like my tablesaw though, so there is something positive :D

• Members

Wow, that's a tough hand you got dealt there. THis might soudn awfully hippie-ish, but have you ever looked into holistic medicine or Eastern treatments? alternative therapies? Yoga?

I have seen western medicine really do some collateral damage...seems like this is true in your case as well... And moving might be good for you- cold up there in Fargo, although I'm sure beautiful in it's own way.

There is something I picked up in your words- That you get troubled because you are worried people think you're lazy- F*** that. Do NOT let people wear you down, and don't spend time in this kind of thought- it's got no good use, and is only negative.

Hang in there C.... Have faith in yourself, and you will find a way.

T

• Members

Happy Birthday Coaster :thu:. Remember, you're only as old as you "think".

I kinda look at things like a car and driver,,,, the driver is the "mind", and the car is the "body". I still think like I'm 23 (and have the same desires :)), but the old 1948 jalopy I'm driving, wellll,,,,,,let's just say I don't corner, (or handle the "curves") as well as I used to. :p

• CMS Author

You're experiencing what some folks call, "taking stock of yourself", others simply call, "a reckoning", and if you're old enough, "a midlife crisis". Obviously your mood has little to do with a day on a calendar, and much to do with what you're doing with those days. Feeling less than healthy certainly does suck, and it can strain even the most positive people.

A long chat with the missus about that move/procreate/be wealthy thing might be in order. Maybe she does know how to get wealthier in 2 months, or at least will be able to see what the realities and possibilities really are.

Better days ahead.

• Members

Wow, that's a tough hand you got dealt there. THis might soudn awfully hippie-ish, but have you ever looked into holistic medicine or Eastern treatments? alternative therapies? Yoga?

I have seen western medicine really do some collateral damage...seems like this is true in your case as well... And moving might be good for you- cold up there in Fargo, although I'm sure beautiful in it's own way.

There is something I picked up in your words- That you get troubled because you are worried people think you're lazy- F*** that. Do NOT let people wear you down, and don't spend time in this kind of thought- it's got no good use, and is only negative.

Hang in there C.... Have faith in yourself, and you will find a way.

T

I use alternative medicine I had to. I couldn't afford the 37K the doctor wanted to charge me to slice and dice my ass up. My wife has Huntington's and the meds they gave her are {censored}ing outrageous 6k for a month supply:eek: and turns her into a Zombie. Sure it stops the movement but she will be like in a freaking coma. :mad:

She said {censored} all that {censored} got off the BS better life through chemistry approach they try to sell us. :facepalm: So I scored some weed and give her a glass a wine with a few tokes and it stops all the spastic movements and doesn't turn her into a comatose Zombie.

The docs wont prescribe her medical marijuana because Huntington's does not qualify, which actually does work but feed us a line of BS about how it doesn't. :facepalm:

Anyway back on topic Happy B-day dude sorry I get irate with docs and the their BS policies they abide by with our best politicians money can buy.

• Members

A long chat with the missus about that move/procreate/be wealthy thing might be in order. Maybe she does know how to get wealthier in 2 months, or at least will be able to see what the realities and possibilities really are.

Better days ahead.

+1

And try like heck to both be on the same page - It makes all the difference if you're working toward a shared goal...

But I have to agree, pushing 40 sucks (you and I are about the same age). I have to shave daily to avoid seeing the increasing amount of gray. Everything from my teeth to my joints are going to hell... I can't sit, stand, walk, run, play, hear, taste, sleep, think, etc. the way I used to.

Pretty much it's all down hill (physically) after 35, probably earlier, but that's when the sh*t starts to hit the fan... After many years, I'm finally getting around to giving up so many of the things I love, for my own self-preservation...

• Members

OK, you guys all suk. Happy B-Day Coaster and don't listen to the negative stuff. I'm 36, life is pretty good right now. Despite waiting and waiting to get paid (a bunch of gigs) and in the black this month, still renting a house and getting married in a month. Yeah things could be better but at least you don't have the worst job in the world:

assistant crack whore.

• Members

Happy Birthday man!

I've felt like you have in the past, but at my age (55) I'm starting to be glad that I'm even having a birthday. Some of my contemporaries have already started to pop off!

And I know what you mean by steroids, my wife's been on them for quite a while and they're starting to mess with her bone density.

Anyway... all the best for the coming year, and here's to good health.

BTW, will your wife go for a dog instead?:)

• Members

What a bunch of youngsters you are. Just wait till your 50+

Coaster I really feel for you in the knee department. I went to parents night at my daughter's Ju Jitsu class and even though I kept up just fine with the office worker bunch, there were things my knees just won't do anymore (not without agonizing - debilitating pain). I do have to admit that the 20 something female instructor telling me how flexible I was probably made me over do it just a little (The next day I was reminded of a few muscles that I'd forgotten about decades ago).

Happy birthday to you and GOOD HEALTH!

• Members

Coaster, keep your chin up (and anything else that still works.)

I'm over 60 and still doing most of the gig work by myself or with one helper five years younger than me.

Looking at the grass from the green side beats the hell out of the alternative.

• Members

Yo Yo! Birthday shout outs!

Al P. in the house

Yeah the DJ guy

Got balls so big

I Can't zip up my fly

Yo Coaster dude,

I'm here to say

Cheer up my friend

And happy birthday!

Because as you get old, you may also get wiser

And maybe you can buy an "older body optimizer"

That makes your tool 'bout 3 times as long

And then you can write your own rap song

About the fact that you can't zip up your fly

Kinda like this Al P canadian DJ guy

Who, as a gift - had a few things to say

To cheer you up on your birthday!

There you go.

Have a good one my friend!

Al :)

• Members

Yo Coast...

Happy Birtday, bro... celebrated mine yesterday. Yep, 5/18. Problem is, I've got about 12 years on ya! I'm less than one year from the big 5-0. Feel like I should be carrying a short-timers chain. And like it's been said before... you are only as old as you feel (and the women you can feel). Right now you're assessing your life and where you are. You'll find you do that a lot more as you get older. Every year is another milestone. Heck, I've got friends I've buried already - and not from stooopid stuff (like drugs, fast driving, etc.), I'm talking heart attacks, cancer and such. In any case, at this point I figure if I open my eyes and can get vertical in the morning, half the battle is won. The rest of the day is a breeze... besides, what's the alternative? A long, horizontal dirt nap. Cheer up, summer's coming, great weather, and you've got a lot to look forward to... kids are great. Rremember this, if you wait till you have enough money to have kids, you'll never have kids because, no matter how much you make, you'll never have enough money to have kids. :)

Stix

• Members

Happy (belated) Birthday Coaster!

I would agree with the others that you are only as old as you feel. And since I'm about a year older than you, I felt real old last weekend after spreading 12 yards of mulch around the flowerbeds. Better days are ahead...

What was that again about your table saw? You've posted some nice pictures of the cases you've built! Maybe you've found a hobby and a business all in one. Have you ever considered building customized cases commercially? I might need a StudioLive 24 case here soon. ;)

Coaster's Custom Cases... Has a nice ring to it...

• Members

Happy Birthday, Coaster.

I'm not going to tell you my life story or any funny anecdotes. Just that I'm creeping up on 41 and that life is what you make of it. You can choose to get busy dying or get busy living.

V.

Archived