Headphones question

• Members

Hi all, visiting this forum because I have a question regarding headphones with a mixingconsole.

I run sound for a 9-piece rock-soulband including monitors. I've been thinking to get a set of headphones to be able to monitor the monitormixes more easily.

I've never used them before so I'm at a loss in this area. What are the most common, best etc. etc. headphones I should look into you think ?

Thanks,

Giga

• Members

I travel with a pair of Sennheiser HD280, but there are a a lot of closed-back, over-the-ear headphones that folks like. Lately, the Shure phones have been getting a lot of love. Since I am poor lately, if I had to replace the HD280 I'd just get another pair, but I like the Beyer DT770.

However, I personally find it tough to check on the mix without a listen wedge, as it is very difficult to line up the sound of the phones with what would be coming out of the monitor. They are a nice tool to have for other tasks, though.

• Members

Audio Technica offers a nice selection of head phones, from entry level to recording studio quality.

I use the ATH-M50s phones. Great sound, isolation is meh. They work fine.

I only use phones to PFL certain channels and check for noise or other anomalies. I let the musicians tell me how their monitor mixes sound, unless I'm a dedicated monitor tech, in which case I'll have a listen wedge. If the band is on ears I'll have a pair of in-ear phones for myself.

• Members

I used Sony MDR-V6 on the road for many years, and they were always dependable. That is, until the ear surrounds finally started to crap out. Today I use the MDR-7506, which I guess is the "pro" version of the V6. As far as I can tell, it's basically exactly the same 'phones. Decent amount of isolation, decent sound, they get loud, and they are comfortable to wear for longer than many other 'phones I've tried.

Archived