Poor Kid LOL

• Members

i'm not exaclty sure how i found this, but its from an event i did a year ago.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

before you laugh at me for this ridiculousness, i get paid a nice sum to do this - much better than the rock world. i've done these events where thousands of kids are screaming in front of my little ol' rig :D

note the ewi trunk with snake and all cables that live inside.

• Members

That sort of show is actually more fun than bar shows because the crowd is SO appreciative. My dirty little confession: my son is 7 now, but when he was about 4 we took him to see the Wiggles at a local arena. I found myself wishing I had THAT gig. They had a great little line array, lots of lights, sounded REALLY good and the volume was VERY controlled by everyone. I could go home without my ears ringing!!!

• CMS Author

That sort of show is actually more fun than bar shows because the crowd is SO appreciative. My dirty little confession: my son is 7 now, but when he was about 4 we took him to see the Wiggles at a local arena. I found myself wishing I had THAT gig. They had a great little line array, lots of lights, sounded REALLY good and the volume was VERY controlled by everyone. I could go home without my ears ringing!!!

Don't forget the MILF's.

• Members

and you could probably go home before 4am as well. the latest i have ever been out on one of these gigs has been 10pm and that is rare.

they are a lot of fun. i have a video i took (and i cant legally post) from FOH at one of the large events where literally a thousand little kids started jumping up and down to the music all at the same time - its crazy

i will admit that after these events i am so exhausted i cant think straight. sometimes they are 14 hours straight.

• Members

I'd lose my mind at one of these gigs. I have a lot of respect for the people that sing and perform these kind of cheesy kids shows, because never in a million years would I be able to do that kind of stuff.

This kind of {censored} rots kids' brains, I tell ya.

i dont know why its mono, i gave the vidiots a stereo feed.

Youtube mixes the LQ (360p) vids down to mono to save bandwidth. 480p and higher resolutions are all stereo, with a higher audio bitrate.

• Members

I might have told this story here sometime in the past... I dunno... but it's worth repeating based on the topic:

About 20 years ago I was the sound & lighting contractor for a 3 day weekend biker event... campout... lots of food & beverage vendors, horse shoe tourney, kick the pig contest, bite the wiener contest, slow bike riding contest, lots of music (including kid stuff during the day... sandcastle building, wading pool, frog jumping competition, etc...)... fun for the whole biker family. 'A few hundred scooters and lots of scooter/camper vans combos in attendance, and lots of kids running around during the day.

So, Saturday morning... early... I stumbled to the soundboard because I was rudely awakened about 3 hours after turning in after a... oh... 36 or so hour first day (you know how it is, you're almost not seeing monsters in your dreams... that is if you've hit REM... and somebody kicks your feet: "HEY MR. SOUNDMAN... HOW 'BOUT SOME TUNES???!!!"). I'm sitting at the soundboard dialing up some SRV, nursing a bad cup of coffee, and I spotted a toddler... you know the type: 'about... oh, I don't know... 18 mo. - 2 yo. high-speed... trying to keep up with his... oh... 24oz. or so Kool-Aid... and packing a load (Pampers dragging on the frame).... dirt and a Kool-Aid smile from head to toe, and he's on a mission (they all are at that age). The toddler rounded the FOH stack on SR. Lemme explain the FOH stacks for this gig: Which was 4ea. per side double 15 Gauss loaded W bins block stacked, and 8ea. double 12 JBL 2202H hornloaded mid bins piled on the block stacked W bins, and 4 ea. double Gauss HF 4000 on JBL 2395 cellhorn cabs stacked on the mids. The FOH stacks measured 10ft. 8" across (on each side) and approx. 12ft. tall. So... the toddler rounds the stack... and doesn't get far across the first sub before he noticed there was "something" going on here. He locks up his brakes... skids to a stop... keeping the 24oz. Kool-Aid under control... and turns and stares right into the right port of the first sub. He's at about eye level with the cross brace of that sub port. I have SRV's Pride & Joy playing... at a very conservative level (it is early in the morning don't you know)... but seeing what's unfolding... I bump it up just a whisker. The toddler's Pampers sag about another 2" (he's basically knee-high and in point-blank range of a moderately thumping 40 - 60Hz. sub), and he really takes notice... and starts looking up, and up, and up. Finally his center of balance gets the best of the situation, and he fell back in the grass... soft landing, but the 24oz. Kool-Aid whet straight up. He just laid there, taking it all in... for about a minute... then the song was over. He checked out his Kool-Aid glass... determined something was wrong with that, got up and motored directly back in the direction of the Kool-Aid bar.

I can see it now: That kid is probably in his early '20's... telling the story about the biggest sound rig he'd ever seen.

• Members

I'm making 300-400$ per 45 minute performance for my kids' shows. (in support of my new CD) I've got 7 booked until the end of June. Set up and tear down are about 20 minutes each. Because it takes so little time, I can actualy get in all my hours at work too, so the $$$ is all bonus $$$ (to buy more powered speakers of course :))

Of course I am singing and moving and being the sound guy all at once during this 45 minutes,(and I did spend the last year and a half writing/arranging/recording the songs) but the kids, teachers and parents are all great and participate very well. I try not to be too cheesy in my music however. I don't wear any costumes and my tunes are pretty rockin' for kids' songs.

More fun to do than the 8 hours + I can spend at a wedding gig, and the pay is better per hour AND no bridezillas to deal with = less stress.

Al

• Members

More fun to do than the 8 hours + I can spend at a wedding gig, and the pay is better per hour AND no bridezillas to deal with = less stress.

Blargh. I have no idea how the DJ's get it at weddings, but man being a photog at a wedding is rough. Good money, and the couple sure are thankful for the pretty pictures after, but god damn I must say that brides (and mothers of the bride) sure make us photographers work for the price we charge. I can put up with a lot of bull{censored} but I've been this close to snapping a few times.

Then they wonder why typical wedding photogs run for around $1,400+ :facepalm:

• Members

I do a couple of horse exhibition shows and education events geared to elementary school aged kids and I do one for seriously handicaped folks. I coordinate the show and and frankly all of us who ride in these shows enjoy doing it. We do a meet and greet with the horses after the show and with the kids, we get question after question and wide-eyed amazement. Many of these kids have never seen a live horse. With the handicaped folks, they are so appreciative and it makes all of us appreciate the God given gift of good physical and mental health that we have.

• Members

For about 20 years, before moving to VA., I was contracted to do sound and lights for the closing ceremonies of the NJ Winter Special Olympics. It was always held at the Mennen Ice Skating Rink. Long day loading in 72Kw worth of lights and sound for 3000 seats (1500 each side of the ice.)

Watching some of the special athletes from toddler age who could hardly "skate" 3 feet without falling down who 15 to 20 years later could perform jumps and spins was quite heart felt.

• Members

I'll chime in.

Every year we do the "Paws For a Cause" benefit dance and fun gala. (adults and children) It's the people who train the "seeing eye dogs"

It's incredible to see the amazing things these dogs can do, and how self sufficient the life of the blind can be with the help of the dogs. The dogs even answer the telephone!!! (no joke) :love:

A side note it is amazing the legal clout the dogs have. They are allowed virtually anywhere.

To quote Bill, it is heart felt and heart warming.

• Members

We did a show not too long ago for the a company that exists solely to hire the handicapped. They find work like stuffing envelopes or training people to work at McDonalds. Sounds bad to us, but these folks were thrilled to have someone help them find a job. They were very appreciative and we were humbled by their generosity to others. I really enjoyed this because I have sister born with Down's syndrome in the 60's, and were blessed to find help from organizations in a time when folks didn't know what to do for these people. I still pray for you Amy. She is still doing well thanks to others.

Although we normally are a well paid act around here, we are going to do Walk for Life in a few weeks as a way of giving back to the community. We are taking the entire show (full PA, truss, intelligent lighting, etc) to make sure it is a night they don't soon forget.

• Members

before you laugh at me for this ridiculousness, i get paid a nice sum to do this - much better than the rock world. i've done these events where
thousands
of kids are screaming in front of my little ol' rig
:D

note the ewi trunk with snake and all cables that live inside.

Pull out this vid when the young men come around to pick her up for a date in a few years. She won't talk to you afterwards, but her virtue will be safe!

Archived