From the Monster Rack Forum

• Members

Somebody want to help this guy out? He posted this in the Monster Rack Forum:

Help me identify this gear!

So I just bought this rack to house my new gcx controlled rack rig and low and behold it comes with a piece of gear already inside! The problem: I have no idea what it is.

Help me! What is this/what does it do!?

messyrackpannel1.jpg
messyrackpannel2.jpg
messyrackpannel3.jpg
messyrackpannel4.jpg
messyrackpannel5.jpg

Thanks

Adam

• Members

This is my take on it...back in the day, Amplifiers didn't have a timed power up sequence. They just turned on. If there was a power hiccup, there would be a big thump when the power came back on with possible damage. Some folks built a system with relays that would require a manual reset and this picture looks like they took it a step farther with a possible sequenced turn-on.

Or it may be something else completely.

Dennis

• Members

Thing is what we have here Lads! is an early design of line amp the octal sockets contain what appears to be a rectifier tube and probably a dual triode running in class AB to provide a signal repeater buffer probably with about three watts from a 600 ohm output transformer.

Although made of some modern materials This is similar to the circuit used in early aircraft intercoms.:wave:

• Members

Thing is what we have here Lads! is an early design of line amp the octal sockets contain what appears to be a rectifier tube and probably a dual triode running in class AB to provide a signal repeater buffer probably with about three watts from a 600 ohm output transformer.

Although made of some modern materials This is similar to the circuit used in early aircraft intercoms.
:wave:

That's a bold assumption that is totally off base... and just a casual look at what's on the back of the panel is a total giveaway as to what it's NOT.

I suggest that Dennis wins the prize for the most likely analysis of what it is likely to be.

Based on the age and the use of XLR(F) connectors for speaker outs, the mil. mult. for signal in, AND looking at the back panel which has an octal socket relay and what looks like a tube appears to be a thermal time delay on relay, and note NO supporting circuitry for any tube stage anything, no HV power supply, it does appear to be a delay turn-on, quick turn-off device and the relay looks like it controls speaker lines though there's no picture detail of the right side of the panel.

Anyway, it can't possibly be anything remotely like an amplifier. Sorry.

• Members

I spy a pair of wires coming from the multicore and leading to that control circuit, so it looks as if they were able to remotely turn the circuit on and of from FOH.

How did they manage that? I only count 12 pins on the multi-core and I see 6 1/4" plugs coming out of it? That would be really cool though.

• Members

How did they manage that? I only count 12 pins on the multi-core and I see 6 1/4" plugs coming out of it? That would be really cool though.

I think you're confused. The remote turn on and off is probably nothing more than shorting two of the pins on the multicore together. This remotely closes the relay which connects the speaker to the amp.

• Members

I think you're confused. The remote turn on and off is probably nothing more than shorting two of the pins on the multicore together. This remotely closes the relay which connects the speaker to the amp.

Closes a relay or closes the heater control circuit on the time delay relay that then closes after a set time to close the power relay or the speaker line relay (whichever way they chose to do it.)

Archived