New JBL PRX 600 series

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
SRX powered cabs finally?

At first glance they look like the 500 series updated with class D amps and all neo drivers. They even have two subs that look similar in specs to the PRX518S and PRX718S. A powered version of the SRX712M would certainly be great but looks like the wait is still on?

• Members

Well, they have always had class D amps, they have always had Neo drivers...

It looks to me like a logical evolution of the PRX line, same HF drivers (in the 612 and 615) but different LF drivers that are more robust and tuned for better LF response. The amp technology is similar, though they may be changing the way they state their power in response to the way QSC was successful with their K series. In fact, this looks like a logical response to the introduction of the KW's.

This (among with the KW's) would probably be a good choice for an awful lot of folks trying (quite unsuccessfully I might add) to roll their own thinking they know whatthey are doing.

• Members

This (among with the KW's) would probably be a good choice for an awful lot of folks trying (quite unsuccessfully I might add) to roll their own thinking they know whatthey are doing.

:lol: Quoted for truth.

• Members

Nice looking box, but what gives with these companies lately? (Showing frequency response at -10dB) How the hell can a guy make an informed purchase? BIG turn-off for me. Same with K-Series' 1000w rating,,, ugh !!

Well, I've always been in the habit of reading between the lines... and these new boxes still look pretty solid.

Anyone get word on pricing or shipping dates?

• Members

I noticed the new boxes are poplar instead of birch.I don't know if this would reduce weight or change any resonance.

I have used poplar before, and depending on how it's laid up (all poplay, combination of poplar and pine/birch etc) it may be a little lighter.

Lightweight is really good for those of us who know better ;)

• Members

The dual 15" tower weighs just 60 pounds. Unbelievable for a quality speaker, and a good 25 pounds less than it's predecessor if I'm not mistaken.

I do more DJ and karaoke jobs than live music these days - sorry. None of the rest of you guys probably are interested in towers.

• Members

I have used poplar before, and depending on how it's laid up (all poplay, combination of poplar and pine/birch etc) it may be a little lighter.

Lightweight is really good for those of us who know better
;)

i have used non plywood poplar for a number of projects, and while it is a unique and often beautiful wood (if its what your looking for in a soft wood) i have found it exceedingly fragile even when compared to pine. you certainly cant accidentally drop a board 4 inches onto a table without expecting a dent.

smells and looks nice though, i like poplar, even the green stuff.

• Members
Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you drive a single 18" driver with two 500 watt amps?

Peavey's PV118D claims 2x150 into a dual voice coil driver so I suspect JBL is doing that also - especially as their better sub drivers are all dual VC anyways (but usually paralleled at the cone).

• Members

2 ways to use a 2 channel amp into a single 18... the first is to use a dual voice coil and in the case of the JBL's that's how they do it and the configuration is called differential drive based on the polarity of the magnetic circuits and the VCs. The other way is to (assuming it's possible and not already a full bridge class D) bridge the amp into a single driver. Note that JBL uses non-standard impedances already so they can modify the impedance to set the power level delivered.

• Members

Quick question: is the 2408H compression driver common to both lines 1 1/2" exit, or is that the diaphragm diameter? I've always wondered about that, and it's not in the specs that I can find.

I noticed that the horns on these new 600s are different, and 90x50 instead of 70x70 like the previous line.

• Members

Looking at the frequency response graphs the PRX612M and the PRX718S would make a hell of a good combination.

Can't wait for these tops to come out.

To DJ Spek, the 718s appears to be a lot better sub when comparing freq response graphs between it and the PRX618S.

• Members

It appears that there is two models to choose from, PRX618 (probably much like the PRX518) and the PRX618-XLF. The XLF uses the same driver as the PRX718/VRX918sp with a different amp configuration.

The box looks better black to my eyes, dont know if the demensions are anyway simular.

Archived