JTR Growler subs

• Members

They seem to get decent reviews over at PSW.

The biggest complaint I have read about them is that they have a tendency to move around alot if you are not stacking a cab on top of them.

The owner Jeff seems to be a decent guy, he is quick to reply to emails.

I was interested in them myself but there was never anyone local that had any to listen too.

My only other observation is that you will really take a beating on them in the resale market, and they seem a bit tough to sell, unlike if you are trying to re-sell a JBL SRX or EV QRX type cab.

• Members

Jeff at JTR is rapidly earning a very good rep in the pro world for his good sounding stuff and excellent customer service. Do a search at PSW and you will find heaps of praise and numerous satisfied customers. I just wish he had powered versions of his cabs! A Triple-8 over Growlers would be just awesome.

• Members

Jeff at JTR is rapidly earning a very good rep in the pro world for his good sounding stuff and excellent customer service. Do a search at PSW and you will find heaps of praise and numerous satisfied customers. I just wish he had powered versions of his cabs! A Triple-8 over Growlers would be just awesome.

If you do some searching at PSW, you'll find that powered versions are on the way as he has gotten access to plate amps to properly power his cabinets. :thu:

• Members

I got to demo some of Jeff's stuff last year. The Triple 12 and Growlers to be exact. I thought everything sounded great. The Triple 12 was clear and precise and the 4 Growlers pounded and sounded very good. I was really amazed at the output that came out of such a small box. The tops and subs sound great together and don't require gobs of power.

Like everyone else has said....check out PSW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Growlers are all talk.. They are no better than the JBL MRX518s or equivlent subs.

I've read lots and lots of subjective impressions and user-generated measurement data about most of the popular compact subs. You are the first person I've seen with this "take."

Tell us more.

• Members

Is this from personal experience? There seem to be a lot of people who disagree with you.

We bought a few (4 boxes) about a year ago to try out and dumped them about 2 months later on eBay. They just left us wondering; is that it? Isn't there more to this speaker.

Musically they aren't that great for an "all around" box. They reminded me of a Cerwin Vega '1-note-wonder' box.

Construction; not bad for a box built out of "big box store" plywood. If the plans are online, I could have built the same box and order a "replacement" driver and save a bunch of money (my working hours cost nothing).

We went with QRx218s instead as they had a better overall sound on less wattage.

• Members

Not heard one myself but seems to get decent reviews - there's a few designs out there that will get you that kinda freq response/output vs weight/size.

Main complaint seemed to be that they don't throw particularly well. Bass disappears quickly as you step back. But yeah.. not heard them so that might be complete b/s :)

• Members

Jeff was kind enough to pull the driver out of a growler for me so's I could see inside. I was very impressed with the quality of construction - I've never seen better fit and finish. As to their lack of "thow" I attribute that to their lack of distortion. The drivers having an xmech of 3 inches :eek:. Low frequencies just don't carry very well. Many (most?) subs have fairly high distortion as they are usually run past their relatively meager xmax's. These harmonics are what carry and your brain fills in the missing fundamental and "masks" the distortion. This how my beloved MaxxBass processor works :love:.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Not heard one myself but seems to get decent reviews - there's a few designs out there that will get you that kinda freq response/output vs weight/size.

Main complaint seemed to be that they don't throw particularly well. Bass disappears quickly as you step back. But yeah.. not heard them so that might be complete b/s
:)

Odd. Where have you heard this? Usually I hear the exact opposite.

• Members

Jeff was kind enough to pull the driver out of a growler for me so's I could see inside. I was very impressed with the quality of construction - I've never seen better fit and finish. As to their lack of "thow" I attribute that to their lack of distortion. The drivers having an xmech of 3 inches
:eek:
. Low frequencies just don't carry very well. Many (most?) subs have fairly high distortion as they are usually run past their relatively meager xmax's. These harmonics are what carry and your brain fills in the missing fundamental and "masks" the distortion. This how my beloved MaxxBass processor works
:love:

Xmech doesn't matter regarding sound. Xmax is a different matter and in related to the trade-off between linearity (part of the distortion equation) and sensitivity versus power handling.

• Members
Xmech doesn't matter regarding sound. Xmax is a different matter and in related to the trade-off between linearity (part of the distortion equation) and sensitivity versus power handling.

I didn't have the xmax spec on them - I assume from the way they sound that their xmax is as impressive as their xmech. Perhaps Jeff can tell us what it is :) ?

• Members

Not only do folks like them, IIRC independent measurements have shown a Growler to be very close to a 718 in response, output, and distortion (or maybe it was a 728:))

They have a much higher output box coming out soon.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I've been using these subs for a couple weeks now. I-Tech 4000 stereo, so about 1,200 watts each. Used them center-clustered and on each side of stage.

Totally, completely impressed with how much better my lows sound and how small/light they are. Winners for my applications, which is bars/clubs

Archived