Anyone done side-by-side on K12 vs SxA 360?

• Members

Going to buy a pair of either K12's or SxA360's but there's no local dealer where I can A/B them. Has anyone either heard them directly against each other, or heard them each enough to comment on overall sound quality, power, and other features? -TMc

• Members

I've heard the K12's in person but never did a side by side comparison. I own the EV's for a 5 piece metal band, and the narrow horn patter is a god send in all those small reflective rooms we do. They cut thru really good esp. with our stage volume is pretty loud but we like the stage volume and FOH be the same to give us that wall of sound effect.:cop:

Hope that helps I know it's not much to go off.

I know the K12's have more features then the EV's but for me I didn't need all the extra in/outs and built in x-over.

I already have a DBX x-over for the Yorkie LS700p subs and a pair of DBX 231 EQ's is all I need. Good luck on what ever you decide. Might try this place http://www.prosoundweb.com/forums/

they do a lot of comparing but then again some of those folks view the K12's as DJ gear.

• Members

Not against each other, but I have heard each of them several times.

The K12 has a stronger bass response with the DEEP button engaged, but the 360 has better mids and highs, with less harshness and more sweetness to the mids and highs. Both get plenty loud. Overall, the EV is a better speaker IMO.

• Members

No experience with a direct comparison between these two speakers, but I did listen to a pair of SxA 360's over a pair of the companion EV subs for a few hours at a wedding reception. Program material was pre-recorded music (DJ). I thought they sounded quite good/pleasant. Of course, I had no idea how the DJ was EQ'ing his system, or how he had them cross-overed, so I can't comment about the SxA 360's in stand-alone mode.

As for the K-Series, the only model I've listened to was the K-8. That was a brief test, pre-recorded music. I played around with the different built-in EQ settings and didn't like what I heard, especially when using the DEEP setting. It seemed to me that the DEEP setting was not only a low-frequency extension, but rather, an overall broader "curve" which had a negative impact on vocal clarity. I assume you'd want to run these speakers in the "flat" mode, and EQ separately/externally. Note that the K-8's, K-10's, and K-12's, all use the same HF driver and power amp.

I did briefly listen to some K-12's at my dealers' shop, and they sounded ok. I wasn't paying much attention though, as I was shopping for lighting,,, not listening to speakers. They just happened to be "on" when I walked in.

• Members

I have been reading reviews and comments on K series and SxA360. The consensus seems to favor the 360. i got a really good price on the 360's.

I am looking for an acoustic guitar solo/duo/trio setup. Currently using the K8's and I think the sound really good except seem a little shallow in the "throw". I'm guessing the SxA360 would be a significant upgrade. Still trying to get an impression of the cons of the 65 x 65 degree horn pattern.

• Members

I have been reading reviews and comments on K series and SxA360. The consensus seems to favor the 360. i got a really good price on the 360's.

I am looking for an acoustic guitar solo/duo/trio setup. Currently using the K8's and I think the sound really good except seem a little shallow in the "throw". I'm guessing the SxA360 would be a significant upgrade. Still trying to get an impression of the cons of the 65 x 65 degree horn pattern.

I have used EV sx200 cabs since they first hit the market. They are basically the same cab as the SxA360, except non-powered. I have found no problems at all with the 65x65 horn pattern. It allows them to be arrayed with two or three cabs per side, the cabs work well as either foh or mons, pattern is narrow enough to not have much reflection problems in narrow rooms, but wide enough to work alright even in outdoor situations. I am a fan.

• Members

I have used EV sx200 cabs since they first hit the market. They are basically the same cab as the SxA360, except non-powered. I have found no problems at all with the 65x65 horn pattern. It allows them to be arrayed with two or three cabs per side, the cabs work well as either foh or mons, pattern is narrow enough to not have much reflection problems in narrow rooms, but wide enough to work alright even in outdoor situations. I am a fan.

I understand that the narrow horn pattern allows them to be arrayed nicely. I a =m not looking to do any arrays.

I spent a LOT of time on an acoustic guitar forum before coming here. There were many discussions concerning "line array" units such as the Fishman SoloAmp, Bose Compact, and a unit called the BagAmp. The idea behind the line array is that it throws deep and wide into a room. Deciding on the K8's (after a time of confusion) was along the idea of the wide dispersion of the 110 degree wide dispersion to somewhat model the wide throw of the "line array" units. Now going from a K8 tpo an SxA360 with a 65 degree horn pattern is not calculating in my brain and is the reason for so many questions concerning the horn pattern.

• Members

I understand that the narrow horn pattern allows them to be arrayed nicely. I a =m not looking to do any arrays.

I spent a LOT of time on an acoustic guitar forum before coming here. There were many discussions concerning "line array" units such as the Fishman SoloAmp, Bose Compact, and a unit called the BagAmp. The idea behind the line array is that it throws deep and wide into a room. Deciding on the K8's (after a time of confusion) was along the idea of the wide dispersion of the 110 degree wide dispersion to somewhat model the wide throw of the "line array" units. Now going from a K8 tpo an SxA360 with a 65 degree horn pattern is not calculating in my brain and is the reason for so many questions concerning the horn pattern.

The wide throw on a "line array" such as the Fishman or Bose comes into play because those are generally designed to be used as a point source, whereas I suspect most people would use the K8 or SxA360 with one speaker/side. Given that, I would think a 110 degree dispersion on the K8 would cause some problems with wall reflection.

I wasn't clear before in stating that while the 65 degree dispersion allows the Ev cabs to be arrayed it is certainly not necessary to array them for them to work quite well with one cab/side. I have used mine that way many times and heard several other performers using one per side. I've never noticed coverage to be inadequate. This is just my opinion. YMMV.

Archived