14/4 SOOW into NL4

• Members

damn. i just made two of these cables, and it wasnt easy. took me 90 minutes from spool to two cables.

i would have preferred 14/4 SJOOW but i couldnt source any locally.

anyway, the 14/4 SOOW is as big of wire that will fit into the blue collar of an NL4. i heat shrink tubed my name and lenght of wire and the blue collar wouldnt slip over the shrink tube even after i had shrunk it.

i had to fish the wires around funny on one side of each cable. it wasnt easy.

i'm going to lay the wires out on cement tomorrow if it is nice and hot. they got a little spool left to'em :D

• Members

damn. i just made two of these cables, and it wasnt easy. took me 90 minutes from spool to two cables.

i would have preferred 14/4 SJOOW but i couldnt source any locally.

anyway, the 14/4 SOOW is as big of wire that will fit into the blue collar of an NL4. i shrink shrink tubed my name and lenght of wire and the blue collar would slip over the shrink tube even after i had shrunk it.

i'm going to lay the wires out on cement tomorrow if it is nice and hot. they got a little spool left to'em
:D

Hahaha, my NL-4s are made with 12/4 SOOW. Now THAT was a PITA.

• Members

Here's one fairly "easy" way to do that (with 4 conductor into NL4 ends):

Assemble the conductors straight into the termination sockets of one of the NL4 ends on one end of the cable. On the other end, assemble the two positive conductors into their respective sockets first. Then twist the NL4 end 180 degrees relative to the cable, and then assemble the negative conductors into their respective sockets.

Here's another way:

http://www.audiopile.net/Technical_Library/Speakon_cable_assembly_method.doc

Also, I've found NL4FC ends will accomodate a larger jacket OD cable than what NL4FX ends will accomodate.

• Members

mark, i was able to do that on 3 of the 4 ends. for some reason the 4th end i had to fish the green wire through the black and white wire rather than around it (when i do as you described, the black and white wires are straight and the green and rede wires go around the black and white wires.) it was just situated in the cable just so that it wouldnt cooperate. i may take this one apart and reinvestigate it later as i cannot understand (today) how it could be so different.

i got'em baking on concrete right now, surpingly its just the ends of the cables that arent behaving. the middle sections are straight and flat. ( i unspooled them correctly this time :D )

Archived