JBL EON 10 monitor clipping

• Members

I have a pair of JBL EON 10s that we use as monitors. We have been using them when we play relatively low volume gigs in small rooms (30-50), and in that setting they work quite well for us.

We're starting to play larger venues, and some small outdoor gigs. Yesterday, for the third time now one of the monitors has been doing something that sounds like a machine gun burst. I assume that's the sound of clipping. Is that right?

The peculiar thing is that it's always the monitor at the end of the "daisy chain" that does it. If it is clipping, why aren't both of them doing it? Near as I can tell, I have them set identically. Is there some electrical principle at work here, or is it just chance that the "bad" monitor ends up (I should have marked the one that was making the sound, but I didn't -- next time).

• Members

Here's the bigger picture of our equipment and inputs.

(3) Shure SM58, Yamaha MG16-6FXE, (1) DBX 160A, Crown XLS 202, (2) Yamaha S115V, (2) JBL EON 10,

3 vocals, acoustic guitar (via passive DI), mandolin (via active L.R. Boggs paracoustic DI), Nord Electro 61, and sometimes a Yamaha P-90. Everything else is backline (bass, drums, lead guitar, pedal steel).

• Members

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check the cord. I have a Roland KC-150 that I could run the keys through, which works good enough as a monitor just for me, but then no one else can hear them. Maybe an upgrade to something like the Roland KC-550?

• Members

Mark the monitors so you can switch them around and determine for sure whether it's always the last one in the chain, or always the same monitor.

Mark a handfull of cables and always use one of those, so you can rule out a duff cable (and make sure that pin 1 is not connected to the XLR case, to eliminate the possibility of a weird ground loop).

High pass the monitors. I'd go no lower than 80, but you might want to try it as high as 200.

• Members

Sounds like feed back issues to me, perhaps from the acoustic guitar?

My wife plays a hollow body Epiphone and occasionally when the gain is high on the guitar we will get a "machine gun feedback" thingy going on from the amp or monitors. Kind of a low-mid rumble.

Archived