No announcement yet.

mic connection

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mic connection

I have a mic that "crackles" when you handle it, at times. I at first thought it was a bad mic cord. Should I take the mic apart and investigate?

what mic is it?
    band status - "its complicated"

Comment

Samson CO5

Comment

Don't handle it while it is in use?
        My Business: Media Production in the Texas Hill Country

Comment

hmm. not familiar with that mic. i wonder do you have global phantom power on?

may have a damaged pin block, bad connection somewhere in the mic or a bad connection between pinblock and FXLR assuming you have ruled out the FXLR itself.
          band status - "its complicated"

Comment

If the mic has had the pin block pulled out on accident (when removing the cable) a wire could be hanging by a thread. First I'd test the cable using the behringer cable tester, it has LEDs for intermittent signal which is vital for this.
            www.rock-bot.com
            Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Inspect the mic near the connector end. You should find a small screw. Tighten it! The problem will likely be gone, especially if it's a phantom powered condenser mic.

Comment

Inspect the mic near the connector end. You should find a small screw. Tighten it! The problem will likely be gone, especially if it's a phantom powered condenser mic.

You forgot to mention that it might be a left handed thread. This MIGHT fix it but the mic should get the lo side of the DC through pin 1 anyway (if not none of my cables would work for phantom because I cut any jumper between the pin 1 & the case loop (with a lot of equipment, the chassis is seperate from the shield ground and bridging this causes ground loop hum)).

I'd CAREFULY give it a look. It's not that expensive of a mic (probably not worth a service shop visit) and a connection problem might be obvious.

Are you absolutly sure it isn't the cable or another channel causing the problem? Check these thoroughly first.
                J.R. Previously jrble

See my Dog Of The Hair studio at: http://www.dogoth.com/studio/

Quote from someone: Flat response? Get out the jack and change the tire.
                If you think "power is knowledge", you have it backwards.

Comment

Working...
                X