reverb / fx unit in rack with knobs

• Members

I currently have a mixwiz 16:2 that I use for my larger gigs.

I have a TC M1, a sony dps-v55, and an alesis nanoverb.

I'm not satisfied with any of these pieces of gear right now and am simply using the mixwiz reverb as my fx.

why?

1) the M1 lacks a knob interface, which I prefer. It also seems to add a midrange hump to its effects that I can't exactly dial out with the eq functions on the unit.

2) the sony is 2 rack spaces tall and while I prefer it's reverbs to the M1, it's too grainy and hissy in the mix

3) the nanoverb is the best sounding of the bunch for my taste, but the wall wart or grounding issue is adding a little bit of hum to the mix.

I was considering getting a couple of 1 space rack units that have fx, knobs, and a pleasant sounding reverb. The m300 is an option, but I would assume that it would sound similar to the M1. I haven't tried the low end lexicon gear. Do you have any suggestions for me in terms of getting the right piece of gear? Also, do you think that my observations on my current equipment are fairly assessed?

Thanks for your input.

Chad

• Members

The M300 is my favorite of the lower end units. The verbs/delays are great and really easy to dial in. I too like knobs for tweeking and this thing is perfect. I do want to add an M1 or an Alesis Q20/Q2/midiverb 4 though but as a main verb/delay the M300 is hard to beat.

• Members

Thanks for the ideas.

As far as the mounting of the alesis. I have it velcroed into a rack shelf with two other RNC screwed in adjacently from the bottom. I figured that the velcro would isolate it. I feel like hum is coming from within, matching levels from the mix wiz to the alesis. To get enough reverb, I really have to get the aux send signal fairly strong as well as the nanoverb level.

• Members

The M300 is my favorite of the lower end units.... the M300 is hard to beat.

See i've never really liked the M300 because i don't think it's capable of being subtle. It's either HELLO THIS TRACK HAS REVERB or completely inaudible

The lexicon MX200 on the other hand sits a lot better in the mix, sounds a lot nicer (to me ears), looks the business and is very easy to use. It's also 2-in 2-out of any effect compared to the M300's 1verb/1multi-effects combo so much more versatile.

The only downside is that it uses a 9v DC connector, the MX300 uses IEC though and isn't a great deal more expensive.

Seriously though, can't recommend the MX200 enough for the price

• Members

See i've never really liked the M300 because i don't think it's capable of being subtle. It's either HELLO THIS TRACK HAS REVERB or completely inaudible

The lexicon MX200 on the other hand sits a lot better in the mix, sounds a lot nicer (to me ears), looks the business and is very easy to use. It's also 2-in 2-out of any effect compared to the M300's 1verb/1multi-effects combo so much more versatile.

The only downside is that it uses a 9v DC connector, the MX300 uses IEC though and isn't a great deal more expensive.

Seriously though, can't recommend the MX200 enough for the price

And I have looked at the MX200 as well. I'm not really great with verb units, when I buy one I'll learn it but it takes time and I have less and less time it seems (though I visiti here a lot, the gear stays in the case not hooked up til the gig). 2 racks I have with them the left input drives both delay and verb with the outputs shared (like normal). 1 rack has the discreet input (delay/left, verb/right) and the outputs are shared. 2 in/1 out thing. I wish the outputs were discreet.

• Members

And I have looked at the MX200 as well. I'm not really great with verb units, when I buy one I'll learn it but it takes time and I have less and less time it seems (though I visiti here a lot, the gear stays in the case not hooked up til the gig). 2 racks I have with them the left input drives both delay and verb with the outputs shared (like normal). 1 rack has the discreet input (delay/left, verb/right) and the outputs are shared. 2 in/1 out thing. I wish the outputs were discreet.

IIRC the outputs on the MX200 can be discreet - I believe the unit should be set for dual mono operation.

Archived