PreSonus Studiolive

• Members

I went to practice last week, there sitting hooked up, was a new studiolive, the sound guy has been hinting about getting one of these, well the hint is over. Anyway I got on line and read the manual so I could have a heads up on the thing. GOOD LORD!!!!

• Members

I'd have to agree with bnelly... the learning curve is not as bad as I thought it might have been. Make sure you read through PreSonus' message board. There are a few things to be prepared for, especially if you plan to use this with a computer. The supplied firewire cable can lead to some surprizes (I found this the hard way). You will do good to throw the supplied one away and get a decent cable.

• Members

I went to practice last week, there sitting hooked up, was a new studiolive, the sound guy has been hinting about getting one of these, well the hint is over. Anyway I got on line and read the manual so I could have a heads up on the thing. GOOD LORD!!!!

What? You having a hard time of it? You shouldn't.

Anyway, you should just let the soundman mess with it. There's no musician items on it anyway. :poke:

• Members

I love mine too! It gave me some heartburn for a couple gigs as it is way more sensitive to power sags than any of my analog gear. I put an "online UPS" in my rack to power my SL and life has been great since.

Great board!

• Members

i haven't updated the firmware yet because i've read some nightmare stories over on the presonus boards. I may hazard it this week since we have a 2 weeks off.

I was a bit timid about updating the firmware. My biggest issue was not noticing the Universal Control applet that was running in the system tray. That is where you do the updates.

When I opened the UC application, from the start menu, the main window appeared at the same time the tray applet appeared. Therefore, I never noticed it was there. I only saw a window that said my software was out-of-date. Then, it told me to run the UC program to update it.

I was confused because I just ran the UC program to see what I was seeing.

Now, if they had said, "Open the UC program in the system tray..." then I would have been fine. I spent a couple hours trying to figure this out. I stumbled on that tray icon the next day.

Then, when I ran the installer, it hung during the initial part of the process. I let it sit for about an hour since I was in a meeting, anyway.

After an hour, I killed the process, restarted the laptop and mixer and ran the update, again. It worked perfectly in about 1-2 minutes.

The updater fixes some bugs, but the main feature I wanted was the new low-cut filter on the AUX sends.

mike

• Members

I was a bit timid about updating the firmware. My biggest issue was not noticing the Universal Control applet that was running in the system tray. That is where you do the updates.

When I opened the UC application, from the start menu, the main window appeared at the same time the tray applet appeared. Therefore, I never noticed it was there. I only saw a window that said my software was out-of-date. Then, it told me to run the UC program to update it.

I was confused because I just ran the UC program to see what I was seeing.

Now, if they had said, "Open the UC program in the system tray..." then I would have been fine. I spent a couple hours trying to figure this out. I stumbled on that tray icon the next day.

Then, when I ran the installer, it hung during the initial part of the process. I let it sit for about an hour since I was in a meeting, anyway.

After an hour, I killed the process, restarted the laptop and mixer and ran the update, again. It worked perfectly in about 1-2 minutes.

The updater fixes some bugs, but the main feature I wanted was the new low-cut filter on the AUX sends.

mike

I'm using a mac :)

BUT my UC isn't loading up correctly for some reason. So I can't run the update check thingy.

• Members

Dr. Mo, you were lucky in that your mixer didn't fry when you stopped the process. That's one of the things you're warned against while updating.

I had a couple of problems with my update as well. But now all is good. I need now to get a more powerful computer to be able to run the studio one application for some channel replacements live. Capture works just fine. The processor doesn't have too bad a problem with that.

I have a 300watt UPS on it and it's been working great. The VSL wirelessly is a charm. The wow factor is nice to see as well.

• Members

Dr. Mo, you were lucky in that your mixer didn't fry when you stopped the process. That's one of the things you're warned against while updating.

Not luck. It was just the next logical step.

After an hour of 0% of processor usage on the updater, there was no other solution than to kill it and try again. Warning or not, eventually, I was going to have to take the mixer and laptop home.

Had it totally screwed up the mixer, I would have returned it. However, I don't think it's possible to totally screw it up. The software is pushed to the mixer, not pulled into the mixer.

mike

Archived