Thinking about getting rid of a subwoofer, opinions?

• Members

Hey, so I'm about to move halfway across the country (from south carolina to Colorado), and I'm wondering how I'm gonna get my PA system out there. I have an A&H mixwiz 16, 2 QSCHPR122i tops, and 2 JBLPRX518s subs. I'm thinking that I can fit it all in the car i'm driving, but it would really help to sell one of the subwoofers. My question is, do you think my system will be crippled without both subs, or could I still get by? I kinda like the idea of downsizing, as moving two big subs has always been a pain in the ass.

Thanks

• Members

If you push your system, I think a single PRX518 sub will run out of gas before the two QSC tops you have.

If it's a matter of making sure you have enough room in your car, why not just ship the sub? FedEx ground is probably the cheapest.

• Members

If you push your system, I think a single PRX518 sub will run out of gas before the two QSC tops you have.

If it's a matter of making sure you have enough room in your car, why not just ship the sub? FedEx ground is probably the cheapest.

FedEx Ground is $152.

-Dan.

• Members

Buy one of those little 4x4 or 4x8 foot flat trailers from Harbor Freight or a similar store, add side panels, wrap the subs in cheap plastic tarps (tightly with duct tape), and ANY car can tow them.

Security is another issue. You should be able to make it in two days. You could just rent the smallest enclosed trailer UHaul or Ryder has. Buy some locks.

Boomerweps

• Members

Or buy a trailer and re-sell it if you have the cash. Used trailers hold their value remarkably well.

Or buy one and keep it; a small enclosed trailer can be very handy, if you've got room to park it, of course.

• Members

I'll have to see if the subs fit, as I'm getting another car to drive there (I don't think my current car will make with 217,000 miles on it). I'm gonna get a used subaru impreza wagon. The seats fold down to give a good bit of room, so I think I'll be able to fit both subs.

It's really more a question of whether I even want two subs. Like I said, it's always been a pain to haul both of them around, and it would be nice to downsize a bit b/c I'm moving into an apartment. I was thinking about buying two speaker stands and just using one sub. I needed two before b/c I was in an electronic dance band and we needed some serious kick drum. But I think I'm gonna be moving in a toned down soft rock direction so I just don't know if I need two subs now. I think I'm just really attached to them b/c they're so badass. haha

Oh, and I really like the idea of stuffing clothes in the subs haha. I might actually do that.

Archived