Any experience with OSP snakes?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen a few, by the time I got to use them they were in bad shape.The fan tail end is made with crappy heat shrink, the cable just bends waaay too easily, it causes the connectors to become one big knot. The box end had cheesy ends with tabs that would stick. Overall quality of the cable wasn't that good, these were made maybe 4-5 years ago and for sure their suppliers change etc I doubt quality is something they gave a rats ass about.

• Members

i'm a big fan of whirlwind snakes (especially medusa) but i do have an ewi that is quite nice. my whirlwind is older than dirt and is great.

rapco is fine if you take care of it, the jacks in the boxes are weak (entry level rapco) but it takes serious trauma/abuse to mess them up. i've seen more than a few messed up jacks but my old rapco is fine.

i wouldnt buy osp if it was free.

• Members

Whirlwind, Rapco, Horizon, CBI all have different levels of snake they build. The quality of cable and connector varies by level. A snake is truly a bottleneck in the system, if the snake is suspect there is no work-around. By a good quality snake to start, stay away from ones that are twisted and gnarled.

• Members

Coaster, have you used or seen OSP snakes? I'm just curious.

I haven't any problems with mine, but I only use it 4 times a month and it doesnt take any type of beating, so maybe they're just fragile, who knows. Fingers crossed.

• Members

I have an 8 channel stage snake from OSP. It only has about 10 gigs on it, but it seems to be decent quality for my use. The fan end looks like it could be fragile, but I leave it connected and stash the cable in the bottom of my mixer case for transport.

• Members

Never used any of their stage snakes but I did purchase a 4 channel insert snake about a year ago. Pretty much had to resolder 3 of the 4 channels' connectors within a couple weeks of use. Pretty cheap and crappy components that are not going to hold up over time.

• Members

Coaster, have you used or seen OSP snakes? I'm just curious.

I haven't any problems with mine, but I only use it 4 times a month and it doesnt take any type of beating, so maybe they're just fragile, who knows. Fingers crossed.

never used, but seen. the ones i have seen are built like crap. the wires in the stage box werent even fasten to anything or themselves, just flopped around loose in the box.

totally unacceptable product.

• Members

I just got rid of my OSP 12X4 snake and bought an EWI 16x8 from audiopile.net. The OSP was ok at first but by the last few shows I did with it (about two years later w/ moderate use), it needed to be resoldered constantly. The best thing about the OSP snake was that it made me learn how to solder. The EWI from audiopile seems much more solid and peace of mind w/ an important piece of gear seems priceless!

• Members

never used, but seen. the ones i have seen are built like crap. the wires in the stage box werent even fasten to anything or themselves, just flopped around loose in the box.

totally unacceptable product.

Hmm, I'll have to open the box up and see.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Just bought one of OSB Elite Core 8 channel sub snakes. I knew OSB was a suspect brand but was impressed by their slick marketing of the Elite Core being a 1st class product and thought I would give it a try

It is a PIECE OF CRAP, probably made in china. I took it to a live sound event figuring that it is new, therefor all should be ok. On performing a drum check, It seems to have 2 sets of channels linked together. I thought the LS9 desk was having a brain freeze and when I bypased the sub snake all was good.

Morale of the story. Buying cheap junk brands like OSP is false economy and using their crap may jepordise your event.

Archived