Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with OSP snakes?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so EWI snakes are good right? I think I'll get a 16x4 reel if it's not going to break the bank.

Good choice I love Mark's EWI stuff and Mark and Liz are awesome folks to do business with.
    Nice to buy a product from a forum member esp. if you need help. Like he's helped me in the past with a few things over the years.

Comment

I can't find anything about a warranty on OSP...

If it's any help, here's what I believe is the OSP warranty from their snake products website overview webpage:

http://www.ospworldwide.com/productcart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=2

Also, I believe OSP is possibly marketing some portion of their snake products, or possibly all of their snake products under a possibly new tradename of "Elite Core"... and judging by what they were displaying in their booth at the most recent Namm... it appears that their "Elite Core" snakes (shown at Namm) are changed from previous models.

Comment

judging by what they were displaying in their booth at the most recent Namm... it appears that their "Elite Core" snakes (shown at Namm) are changed from previous models.

Changed for the better, or for.....?
        "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

Changed for the better, or for.....?

It would be tough to go the other way with OSP.

Not my choice to buy the stuff, but I have had to work with one terrifyingly bad 57 knock-off and a super flimsy roadcase workbox built by them. I have had not terrible results with their DIs and XLR mic cables, but I only had to work with them for a couple of months...
          My Business: Media Production in the Texas Hill Country

Comment

I just ordered a Seismic Audio 24x4x100'. It's due to arrive tomorrow according to Fed Ex tracking. I really hate the looks of the connectors on the box and the fact that it appears that they mount from INSIDE the box (under the top plate), not from on top of the box, making it a dog to service if (when?) needed. I went with Seismic rather than OSP because of 22 ga wire rather than 24. I'm going to use it for location recording projects that are few and far between, so it makes sense to get me going. If things pick up I'll just dump it off and buy a good one.
            My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

I bought some of the OSP 57 knockoffs and they wer not bad actually. I stull use them from time to time. The snakes (esp. the siesmic) are horrid. no way.
              www.rock-bot.com
              Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

If it's any help, here's what I believe is the OSP warranty from their snake products website overview webpage:

http://www.ospworldwide.com/productcart/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=2

Thanks Mark. Certainly not enough to sell the product for me, but information is always good.
                "A performer without techs is standing naked, on a dark stage, and no one can hear them. A tech without a performer... has marketable skills."

Comment

I just ordered a Seismic Audio 24x4x100'. It's due to arrive tomorrow according to Fed Ex tracking. I really hate the looks of the connectors on the box and the fact that it appears that they mount from INSIDE the box (under the top plate), not from on top of the box, making it a dog to service if (when?) needed. I went with Seismic rather than OSP because of 22 ga wire rather than 24. I'm going to use it for location recording projects that are few and far between, so it makes sense to get me going. If things pick up I'll just dump it off and buy a good one.

A group came through with a Seismic Audio split snake recently. The connectors looked like Neutrix Knockoffs (not terrible, but not great). The box seemed well built & steain relief looked pretty good.

I asked for their opinion. This snake had only seen a dozen shows so they couldn't comment about longevity. They did mention poor strain relief at the fan connectors (the shrink tube was too short, so in effect no strain relief). They also said the soldering inside the couple of connectors they'd inspected was pretty mediocre. I think I'd stick to EWI at a minimum (unless you buy extra channels and don't mind repairing all of the time).
                  J.R. Previously jrble

See my Dog Of The Hair studio at: http://www.dogoth.com/studio/

Quote from someone: Flat response? Get out the jack and change the tire.
                  If you think "power is knowledge", you have it backwards.

Comment

Well, the Seismic Snake arrived as planned today. I've attached some pix that I took while first inspecting it.
                    It arrived in a double box, not a bad idea. But there was plenty of room for the snake to rattle around inside the box.

The box is not terribly heavy duty, but it should work for what I will do. The strain relief nut was loose upon arrival.

The inside of the box is like a bowl of spaghetti. I certainly could have and would have done a neater wiring job and maybe used a few cable ties to keep things neat. There is a spare wire at both ends that you can (maybe) see in the picture.

Connectors at the box are, as I suspected, installed from the bottom, a very bad practice in my opinion. This is probably the worst part of the snake (in my opinion).

Very Neutrik like connectors on the fan end, but, as expected, not the real thing.

My new webpage: http://www.richardkingmedia.com/ Take a look and let me know what you think.

Comment

From experience I can tell you that the box XLRM connectors will get stuck and you'll be hacking away at the connector to get the cables free. The cable connectors aren't in spec with anything (even thebox end) and will also get stuck. The plastic used to hold the pins doens't like heat at all, so when you solder the ends back on you'll need to make sure the pins don't loosen and fall out.
                      sorry but to me it's a waste of money
                      www.rock-bot.com
                      Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

Everything tested out as working properly. I am, weather permitting, going to use it on Wed evening to do sound and record a band (Voodoo). Hopefully all will work well. I recorded the band previously back in November and some of the songs can be heard here: http://soundcloud.com/richard-king I'll probably use 16-18 of the 24 channels in the snake plus one or two of the returns.

Comment

The inside of the box is like a bowl of spaghetti. I certainly could have and would have done a neater wiring job and maybe used a few cable ties to keep things neat.

Connectors at the box are, as I suspected, installed from the bottom, a very bad practice in my opinion. This is probably the worst part of the snake (in my opinion).

I suspect the reason for the bowl of spaghetti wiring inside the stage box and back loaded panel jacks is to facilitate assembly. I suspect the jacks are soldered on the channel pairs before the jacks are installed in the stage box.

Comment

hmmmm...i distinctly remember someone named ME saying that these cheep snakes are spaghetti inside, no spine, total crap.

there is no way i would take that kind of snake even for parts, for free. toss it in the dumpster.
                            band status - "its complicated"

Comment

I suspect the reason for the bowl of spaghetti wiring inside the stage box and back loaded panel jacks is to facilitate assembly. I suspect the jacks are soldered on the channel pairs before the jacks are installed in the stage box.

That's what I thought when I saw it, too. Also it's likely that all the multipairs are cut to tha same lengths for ease of construction. THEN somebody has to stuff all the connectors in. Even still, the wires could have been much more neatly tie wrapped and routed. Personally, since it seems the box was easy to open up for the pics, I would have NO problem with the underside mounting of the panel jacks. One feature I actually like was that they used screws & nuts for jack intstall vs. pop rivets, likely because of the underside mounting. ONE advantage to the underside mounting of panel jacks is that IF & WHEN any plugs become stuck from non-standard sizing (that some have mentioned), the jack is better supported for pulling outward ;>)

Boomerweps

Comment

Good point. I suspect you are correct. I'd love to have bought a real snake (like you supply), but I just don't do enough business to justify it at this point. I figure it might get used 5 - 6 times this year, if that. I didn't feel comfortable doing it, but couldn't justify more.

Comment

Working...
                                X