Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience with OSP snakes?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably have 100 gigs or so on mine and it hasn't given me any trouble at all.

Comment

I have an 8 channel stage snake from OSP. It only has about 10 gigs on it, but it seems to be decent quality for my use. The fan end looks like it could be fragile, but I leave it connected and stash the cable in the bottom of my mixer case for transport.

Comment

Never used any of their stage snakes but I did purchase a 4 channel insert snake about a year ago. Pretty much had to resolder 3 of the 4 channels' connectors within a couple weeks of use. Pretty cheap and crappy components that are not going to hold up over time.

Comment

What is the OP looking for in a snake? What length? How many channels? Returns?

100 feet. 24 channels. 4 returns.
          Best deals on recording
          Gismo Studios: link
          My original music on ReverbNation: link
          Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
          Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

Comment

Just get an EWI 24x8 100'. I have 2 and they've been easy to work with.
            www.rock-bot.com
            Live-Band-Karaoke

bassist and sound reinforcement

Comment

there are a couple Carvin reel snakes that have been rolling around this town for the past 10 years without a failure - one is mine
              StudioLive 16.4.2 - Yorkville U15p - JTR Growler subs - Good Ears and Curious Mind

Comment

Coaster, have you used or seen OSP snakes? I'm just curious.

I haven't any problems with mine, but I only use it 4 times a month and it doesnt take any type of beating, so maybe they're just fragile, who knows. Fingers crossed.

never used, but seen. the ones i have seen are built like crap. the wires in the stage box werent even fasten to anything or themselves, just flopped around loose in the box.

totally unacceptable product.
                band status - "its complicated"

Comment

I just got rid of my OSP 12X4 snake and bought an EWI 16x8 from audiopile.net. The OSP was ok at first but by the last few shows I did with it (about two years later w/ moderate use), it needed to be resoldered constantly. The best thing about the OSP snake was that it made me learn how to solder. The EWI from audiopile seems much more solid and peace of mind w/ an important piece of gear seems priceless!

Comment

never used, but seen. the ones i have seen are built like crap. the wires in the stage box werent even fasten to anything or themselves, just flopped around loose in the box.

totally unacceptable product.

Hmm, I'll have to open the box up and see.
                    Member of the Mesa/Boogie Mob

The Regulars

Comment

Just bought one of OSB Elite Core 8 channel sub snakes. I knew OSB was a suspect brand but was impressed by their slick marketing of the Elite Core being a 1st class product and thought I would give it a try
                      It is a PIECE OF CRAP, probably made in china. I took it to a live sound event figuring that it is new, therefor all should be ok. On performing a drum check, It seems to have 2 sets of channels linked together. I thought the LS9 desk was having a brain freeze and when I bypased the sub snake all was good.
                      Morale of the story. Buying cheap junk brands like OSP is false economy and using their crap may jepordise your event.

Comment

it wasnt a splitter snake was it?
                        band status - "its complicated"

Comment

Sometimes you just have to find out yourself
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Hi
                            It was a 8 channel drop snake with 8 xlr on one end and box with cooresponding xlr sockets. Hard to imigian how they could stuff the wireing on something so simple. Lesson learned again.
                            Old soundman proverb. "Buy Nice or Buy Twice"

Comment

Just get an EWI 24x8 100'. I have 2 and they've been easy to work with.

I have the same snake and it works great and has held up well. One thing not mentioned is how well the snake is shielded. Can't speak for 0sp but with lower priced snakes the shielding may not be up to par.

I continue to order from audiopile. (did just this week) Good company.

Dookietwo

Comment

We use a Proco Stagemaster snake and with great care haven't haed any aproblems with it. The only bummer about this thinkg is taht there is no wire mesh to hold the fantail up and make it more ruggesd but we are quite cautious with this snake. WE could use a 150' snake and 150' speaker cables to go with it but the biggest gigs we intend on running is for small ventues anyway. Thcich brings me to this point. Last weekend we did a gig in a larger room and had to mix behind the mains due to the fact taht we didn't have 150' cables for anytnhing.YUUUUUCCCCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could have coupled two snakes together then we would nave needed longer speaker cables as our setup has the board built into the amp rack as of right now. We could use a whole different kind of setup but the cash just isn't there. I used my headphones to mix and it was ok. Only once in a while did I need to go out in front to hear the mains. Too bad the vocalist acted like a jerk.

Comment

Working...
                                X