Reasons NOT to use powerd speakers?

• Members

Im planning on upgrading / re-working my current system to be more modern , lighter and scale-able. So before i start buying speakers i want to be 100% sure im going in the right direction. The plan so far has been to accumulate 6 srx 718's and a pair of 722's (perhaps additional 712's)

With the prx718 getting good reviews the powered speaker thing is on my mind a lil. So what would be the reasons not to get powered speakers ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, maybe start by asking yourself, or at least telling us, why you're set on buying passive speakers?

Are you only looking to upgrade speakers? As in, do you have amps, racks, speaker processing, crossovers, etc that you weren't going to replace? If so, you'll be spending quite a bit more on powered speakers as you'll essentially be replacing all that with what's inside them.

As far as model lines you're looking at, the SRX are a step above PRX so it's not really a fair comparison.

• Members

Ok, here are some of the arguments against powered cabs:

1. You have to run power and signal to each speaker.

2. If an amp in a speaker fails, it is not possible to move the speaker to another amp or a spare amp.

For my personal use, powered speakers made the best sense and have worked out well for me, but I would certainly not turn my nose up at a properly set up rig with traditional amps + stacks.

Your proposed rig has the potential to be very nice with the right amps and processing. I am little surprised at the 3 to 1 top to sub ratio; you must need some serious bass.

• Members

Yeah i have a lil stock in the passive world but not anything beyond replacement or what not. I have one 16 space amp rack with 3 crown xls and pv500 with a dbx crossover,patch panel and power strip. I have planned on upgrading amps and getting a driverack fairly soon also.

Well passive is all ive known to date. None of the systems that i get to play on or work with have been active so far, but ive read such positive things regarding powered stuff. Just curious as to the negatives.

What would be some powered models/brands on par with the SRX ?

• Members

Well, if you're looking to replace your amps and add processing and get "modern" then I'd seriously look at powered speakers, at least for FOH. Maybe you can keep the bulk of your current setup for monitors. Some folks don't like running power to all the monitors and prefer a passive setup there. It doesn't bother me. My entire rig has been powered for years.

SRX line has large exit compression drivers (2" versus the common 1" exit). That's not to say there aren't some good 1" exit speakers out there that are a step above the PRX, which I don't mean to pan as inadequate, just pointing out that the SRX is better.

RCF 722A,522A, 525A, 725A are all larger exit drivers. I use 522A's for my FOH. The RCF NX series is above that - pricey!

FBT PSR series is larger exit drivers, but pricey as well. More practical is the HiMaxx 40a or 60a.

KV2 has some nice stuff

EV ZX5a is a nice offering from Electro-Voice

Yorkville powered NX series are probably on par with the PRX as are the QSC HPR, which I think are being replaced by the KW series, which are due out this summer.

Probably a step down from the JBL PRX, but step up from the JBL EON seris - QSC K Series

• Members

One reason for passives: the SRX 712m doesn't come in a powered version! It's super light, and sounds great over the 718 sub. Passives tend to save a few pounds, not a bit deal if you have help, but I sure smile when I put the 712's on a pole by myself. For other brands, not so much of an advantage.

• Members

I run all active, KV2 and EV. The only place for passive speakers IMHO is installations.

Actives are infinately scalable without the need to calculate Ohms, Watts, etc., just plug more into power and daisy chain the signal.

Flame on. :facepalm:

• Members

If you're planning on bi-amping, the cabling is the same for passives and actives.

I have noticed that on some monitors IEC's can shake loose but nothing gaff or proper parts can't cure.

I'm moderately lazy and don't bi-amp so I've gone back to passive cabs for monitors and mains (mostly), but there are some nice powered cabs out there.

• Members

While the PRX718 should be pretty close to the perfromance of the SRX718, the VRX918SP is the "powered" SRX box. Same size and demensions. The only difference is the VRX has flyware and the SRX does not.

Dont know how the new 600 series PRX line sounds, should be pretty close to the 500 series in performance.

I use both types of speakers and mix them up all the time. I currently have some SRX718 subs and a few different powered tops as well as some passive tops.

Different flavors I guess.

Powered boxes are nice in that you dont need to haul around heavy amp racks. So far, for me, the biggest draw back for passive has only been AC power, extra cords laying around. But it is sure nice not to have to load up amps!

• Members

Flame on.
:facepalm:

You're right, I'd say. So long as you're buying the proper speakers.

I prefer passive systems. My amp racks give me a place to centralize power (or as satellite distros for bigger rigs), offer some redundancy, and are scalable to a different degree. Also, most of my favourite passive speakers don't come in a powered version!

The PRX600 speakers look great though, and those might be my next big purchase.

• Members

Reasons not to go powered:

1) Heavier cabs

2) Running AC. Not such a big problem if the system is for your own band but when providing for others you've got to be on your guard. Some pitfalls I've experienced:

- Guitarists unplugging IEC for more pedal inlets, not realizing it was the FOH he has just taken out.

- Band/Crowd seeing the Bass/Treble/Volume controls on the powered speakers and cranking them to full before the show begins.

3) Powered monitors are a no-no if providing for others. Only a matter of time before a pint spills into the wrong area.

4) Scalability. Most powered seem to be 90 degree horizontal which is one a side MAX. Those 722's are 75 degree which is two a side - useful for wide rooms and outdoors

5) You can get a better passive system than active for the money (second hand)

Of course powered has many advantages too, really depends on your application

• Members

I'm personally in the quality amp + quality speaker + quality processing camp. In my case, I found powered cabs that did all this in one box and fit my available budget, space, and power needs.

That said, I certainly would not turn my nose up at a quality system using separate components. I am still saving for my dream rig (Dynacord Cobra 2). :love: The real question is what is best for your needs and your situation. In my case, the need for a smaller and lighter system won out. Racks of amps was just not an option.

• Members

I like the idea of having a system that is well tuned by someone who knows their stuff, in a lab, and then breaking the knobs off. That is what a powered box gives you. At my level of knowledge and work, it works for me. I have enough issues working gigs without having to balance my system every time with crossovers, etc.

Seems to me an XLR and an AC cord is a lot cheaper than running those big ol speakeron cables in higher power applications.

Everything I have is powerred, top boxes, subs, and monitors and I am happy I went that way.

Occasionally I wish I had gone passive with monitors, as I tend to work for large bands (8 to 10 members with horns, etc) so it would be nice to add a few monitors BUT then you have to worry about enough load on the amps, etc.

My two cents worth

• Members

I went to active speakers years ago and haven't looked back.

I'm a musician first and a sound man second (maybe even third). If I were running sound for a band, the only thing which I wouldn't like about the active cabinets is that on most of them, the idiot lights are on the back of the cabinet. If you're out front, you won't see the flickering lights showing you're pushing the system up to or beyond its limits.

• Members

How do you figure?

Biamp Passive = 1 NL4

Actives = 1 XLR + 1 Power

-Dan.

Correct, I was thinking more of the amps and the cable cost argument.

XLR and AC costs versus NL4 costs.

Perhaps some people use NL4 for two way and four way so they would have those costs no matter what.

• Members

Powered seems to save me lotsa of packing space and most all of the newer boxes have DSP that seems to optimize the speaker sound and response. I've sold almost all my passive speakers and now have all active speakers. Probably I'd also say they seem easier to mix and match (monitors that is)

• CMS Author

IMHO if you're starting out, or if you're planning an upgrade/rework from scratch, go active. The components match up perfectly, biamping is a PITA you don't have to deal with, and running a power cable to a speaker is really NOT the issue naysayers make it out to be.

And FWIW, I have no active gear in my rig. Were I to start out, it's how I'd go.

• Members

Active speakers make very good sense for many ppl, and many of their benefits have been pointed out here. They are in a sense, optimized for peak performance by the manufacturer. I cannot argue that.

But you asked about the negatives.

1) You are at the mercy of the manufacturer since they are the only game in town once you have bought them. No repair negotation on pricing and there are no alternative parts. If a plate amp goes you can only have it replaced by the same item,

That means none of this, I'll just buy a cheaper or used replacement option.

2) You will be paying the frieight of something heavy, possibly half way across the USA, and maybe even while under warranty.

3) You will lose the use of that product for a longer period of time due to shipping and turn arround, rather than just plugging in another amp of any brand or getting the speaker reconed.

There is a term for all of these things. In effect you are subject to what is called "proprietary handcuffing".....in a sense, your are behind the eight ball.

4) I am a clip light watcher and I like the amps close to where I can see them.

I own lots of speakers and amps that I bought cheaply from being opportunistic in the used market. They were cheap to buy and are always handy.

If I did not own all of the spare gear already, perhaps buying a spare Active speaker would be what I would do as backup.

However, that still does not save you the shipping costs of a warranty repair or out of warranty repair, or deal with the repair pricing and turn arround time.

My QSC repair place is 12 miles from my cottage, my Yamaha Factory repair place is 30 miles from my house and my recone guy is close. Yorkville Sound is only about 7 miles from the Yamaha place.

I am in Outside Sales and I am close to any of them at any given time of the week.

The internet is rife with rants about long turn around times and expensive shippng costs.

YMMV

Archived